Free cub scout website and unit management

I was trying to find free resources for our pack website. I finally found a site that provides us a basic website but also has many other features to share information. Our den leaders can manage their own den news and events that will automatically email their scouts/parents. We now at least have a free web presence. You can get some info about it at http://www.scoutunits.com/

I'm suspicious of this forum member, this post, and this web link. There is absolutely no information about the identity of the website owner, nor is there any physical address. If anyone in the forums thinks this is one of the many phishing or advertisements that seem to be coming through the forums lately, I'll gladly delete this thread. Alternatively, if someone can vouch for its authenticity (and by 'someone' I mean forum members with real forum interactions under their belt) I will leave this be.

FWIW, there is also a recurring thread regarding embroidery. It appears in three different threads each time and contains the same obvious commercial advertisement. If someone wants that information about embroidery setup I'll leave it the next three times it appears (which will be tomorrow if the past is any indication).

You are like a prophet, packsaddle!

I used a throwaway email address to 'register' with the free website. I've heard nothing back. The page is hinky too, not all the buttons work. No spam at the email account either, but I am waiting. :)

I definitively understand your concern packsaddle. Our pack uses it as it was created by a couple of our den leaders. I can assure you that it is not spam gimmick. It was a huge pain for us to find easy means of communication with our leaders and families that didn't cost much. We tried using discussion groups and other means but it only did so much. The site works quite well for my den and our pack and I thought I would share it with others who may find it useful. Sasha if you find any links that do not work send me a PM. I understand the hesitation to try it but I don't feel its in the best interest or see any benefit for of all the faithful members here to criticize a tool that could be very useful for some of them. This site was created for just that reason and that was the only intention I had as well.

You know wakingvirtue please don't tease us with links that don't work. Currently, I am researching different Pack management software with different features. We are a small Pack and finding a software package that is inexpensive with many features would be awesome, yet it is not looking that way. Please do not spam this board!

Well, I registered my unit. That link was not working earlier. Information was sent. Now what. My job, since I am the computer geek of the Pack Committee, is to play around with the software and find the good, the bad, and the ugly of said software and compile a report (WHICH IS DUE NEXT WEEK, I have been playing around with the other software for a MONTH now) for our annual budget meeting. Our committee does not take things lightly, even though we are small, we are precise about how we handle our business. Yes, Scouting is a business, even though it is all volunteer. I so do not want to be played. After I come back from our Pack trip to the U.S.S. Hornet, I get to type up a report. I do this because I enjoy Scouting and what it has done for my son and the other boys in our Pack. Also, I have learned so much from this forum the short time that I have been on here, that I do not want spammers to ruin the experience for new scouters such as myself to learn from veteran scouters. What is your scouting experience? Hawking fake software?

I was a scout from Tigers through 2 years of Boy Scouts and then sports started to consume my time and I dropped scouts. I have been part of our packs committee for the past 4 years. I have been a den leader for my oldest son from Wolf and he is now a Webelos 2 this year. I have taken over the assistant cub master role in pack as well until we find a replacement. My youngest son will be a Tiger this year so I still have another 5 year commitment. Our pack is a little more laid back than some others I have encountered but we as well like to get things done within our organization and make things as easy as possible for our volunteers and as fun as possible for our scouts.

I'm still suspicious. There's something about the absence of article adjectives and anonymous den leaders who develop online software. Especially if someone is going to enter email addresses, names and other information about young people into an unsecured web site.

So...if the den leaders developed the site, tell them they should identify themselves on the site and list a physical address and other contact information. It would be nice to hear a human voice at the other end of a phone...in case of the need for technical assistance. Sounds like two forum members already could use a little.

Like I said, I'm suspicious. You have a steep hill to climb with me. It's getting steeper.