X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Czech mates

Had a great weekend comparing notes with some boys who were raised in the Czech Republic. Because scouting was outlawed during the cold war, their movement has a dearth of senior scouters. Den chief age youth operate as den leaders. Merit badge counselors: no such thing. Scoutmasters: 1 for 96 youth. The parents are hoping for the next generation will have more parents involved. From the enthusiasm of the boys, however, I kinda hope not.

First thing they asked about my scouts' unis: where are your neckers?

It's quite common in the former eastern bloc countries. I encountered some Hungarian scouts in 2005 at a jamboree in the UK. There were about 40 scouts with just 3 adults, the eldest of who was 20ish (if memory serves). They were all keen to exchange neckers and I still have a Hungarian one sewn on my blanket!

Comment

The Polish female Scouts and the Czech kids are some of the most popular groups at the annual Intercamp event in Europe.

Comment

Yup, totally agree: went to Intercamp in Viersen with 3 adults and like 10 boys ... after we spent days looking for them we learned to just look at the polish girl scouts camp LOL

Germany is a bit different: West Germany has since WW2 been split into many many (I think 150 !!!) different scouting organisations.
        East Germany had a communist-scout thing (FDJ) that ceased to exist with the fall of the wall in 1989.
        Last edited by berliner; 09-26-2013, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X