Sad news...OldGreyEagle has passed away

• Administrators

It is with sadness that I convey to all of you that John Arno, known to all of us as OldGreyEagle, has passed away. John's son Ryan shared details with me this morning of his dad's sudden passing while on a trip to Colorado.

John was an exceptional man, and wonderful contributor to this virtual campfire for a decade. Much of that time John spent as our moderator, and his cheerful voice, service and thoughts often came when needed most. This forum, and many of us personally, are better because we had the chance to know John.

I only met John in person one time. He was traveling through Chicago, and stopped in for a very long cup of coffee, and though we had never met, it was as if I was greeting an old friend. John's service to our community leaves an indelible mark, and his passing a terrible void.

The first eulogy I ever delivered was for Green Bar Bill Hillcourt... as I searched for words to share with thousands gathered at his funeral and following the proceedings from afar, I came across a poem in Bill's private papers. It spoke to me... and I hope to many of the people that cherished a friendship with Bill, many of whom had only met him once or twice, or knew him more from his writings. Many of us knew the nom de plume OldGreyEagle and considered him a friend...

1-Mystic-Border-Land.jpg

A few photos of the man, to help you all put a face to a friend we've lost...

2-JohnArno.jpg3-john-arno1.jpg

4-John-Arno-4.jpg

5-GoneHome.png

The services are being handled by Downing Funeral Home in Bethlehem, PA, and Ryan tells me anyone so inclined may make donations to Minsi Trails Boy Scout Council.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is with sadness that I convey to all of you that John Arno, known to all of us as OldGreyEagle, has passed away. John's son Ryan shared details with me this morning of his dad's sudden passing whil

I can't express how sad this makes me feel. My thoughts will be with Ryan and his family. We lost a very, very good man, a good scout, and a good father. Tomorrow I will find a quiet place deep in a forest and reflect on him and the example he set for the rest of us. I know I am better for having known him.

We never met, but I was born in Easton and still have family in Bethlehem. My cousin goes to the Moravian church which sponsored his troop. His voice of moderation and role of mentor will be sorely missed. A life in service to others is a life well lived. God bless our friend and his family.