Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com

• Administrators

Hopefully you've seen several of the improvements and bug fixes that you've been reporting over the past couple of days. After our first major software upgrade in more than 10 years, there's been a few bumps, and I appreciate your patience. This thread is being created as a single, public forum where I encourage you to post any remaining issues or suggestions you want us to address, or helpful usability advice you can share with others based on your experience so far.

Even if you've previously suggested something.... if it doesn't yet appear to be fixed, please post it again here. And if you agree with a suggestion that gets posted, you can Like or comment on that post to help bring it to our attention.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Test post. Bold italic underlined text. Different fonts, sizes and colors: bigger, much bigger, smaller, tiny.   Ordered list: Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 Unordered list: Item 1 Item

Test posting link.   Test uploading and inserting an attachment: [ATTACH]n21[/ATTACH]   Insert image from URL:     Net Poufank d'Vioule de, Bänk dann duurch aus et. Dall bléit mé

The speed seems.......      

Although the 24 hour area is a help to get back to what most of us lived in, it still needs work.. It only shows the OP name, and time/Date the thread was created.. You do not know if anyone has added anything new without having to get into the thread to find out.

Also it seems the page counter is not working right still. If the thread has more the 15 posts, it will only show the first fifteen posts, and tell you you have one of one pages and next page arrow is disabled. If you go into the page number box and put in 2, it will then fix it self, stays on page 1, but now says page 1 of 4, and the arrows are enabled, then you can go to the next page. When you can't see a post count on the 24 hour page, this makes people think there is no more after the 15th post, or if they enter a post they can't see it.

Probably a next week after things settle out issue, but I'd like to see a rundown of the new features. Like the comment button, messaging and customizing my settings. I don't quite understand the descriptions of items in the privacy settings, so I've left them at default for now.

The new "active topics" link is a big help and I think is how many of the regulars interface the site. Thanks. I've already made it one of my home pages.

Moose- I've worked around the pagination thing temporarily by resetting my posts per page to the max (40, I think). That gives me all but the longest threads and would be my preference anyway.

Thanks for the Active Topics link!! Agreed with Moose. I would like to see if there are current posts within the topic before I open it.

As a suggestion, please add categories to the Active Topics. There are some categories I skip over when pressed for time.

Thanks for the work!

It would be nice to be able to reverse the sort order of a thread or forum, listing the newest first. I work around it by going into the forum or thread and clicking Latest Activity - that seems to change the order - but it is still difficult to navigate.

Posting a link is great except that navigating between posting the link and typing text is difficult. Last I tried I had to click one at the top of the post (write something or post link), do my business, then click the other. It would be preferrable to be able to click between panels to navigate. If that even makes any sense.

Hopefully you've seen several of the improvements and bug fixes that you've been reporting over the past couple of days. After our first major software upgrade in more than 10 years' date=' there's been a few bumps, and I appreciate your patience. This thread is being created as a single, public forum where I encourage you to post any remaining issues or suggestions you want us to address, or helpful usability advice you can share with others based on your experience so far. Even if you've previously suggested something.... if it doesn't yet appear to be fixed, please post it again here. And if you agree with a suggestion that gets posted, you can Like or comment on that post to help bring it to our attention. [/quote']

if some of you are new to vBulletin software, this is one of the nice features. If you click on quote under someone's post, it opens a window with their post quoted for you to respond to. No more cutting and pasting. You can also bold or color a portion you want to respond to or click inside the quote and delete anything you aren't specifically responding to. A bit of forum etiquette, you never modify another person's quote. That's a no no.

i know there are other features in the software that Terry would have to approve and turn on. One is a reputation system. It is easy for users to abuse and I don't know if it would really be appropriate in this forum. It allows you to give positive or negative rep to another user. It displays on any post you make and is more or less an indicator of "popularity". In a favorable light, it's kind of a truth in posting kind of thing. It marks a person whose posts are found to be useful, helpful or simply agreed with. On another board I frequent, there is also a Thanks button at the bottom of each post. It doesn't give rep points, but simply is an agreement with the post. I suspect in our environment, that is what the Like button is. The difference I see here is it doesn't list WHO liked the post. On my other board, it does.

Edited to add, the quote of Terry's post in my post is supposed to be in a box inside my post. That apparently isn't functioning properly here.

Yeah, but if you look a SRBeavers quoted item, it doesn't put the thing in a quoted paragraph, it just leave open raw html code around the words.. Noticed that when people tried to do a link.

I am going to experiment with the Advanced settings here.

red text here??

Yeah, guys.. this looked Real good in the editor.. Not so goo once posted.. Looked good right now when I previewed it after editing.. Let's see if going back in and editing will now format it well.

[TABLE=width: 750]

Table attempt

[TR]

[TD]

col 1 row 1[/TD]

[TD]

col 2 row 1[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]

col 2 row 1[/TD]

[TD]

col 2 row 2[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

remark in quotes

Bold, italics, underlined

http://www.scouting.org/training/trainingupdates.aspx - a web link

Smilie face :D

Lets Try a different font

Centered Text

right text

1. Numbering
  2. second line

• bullets
    • indented bullet
      • Really indented bullets..

Well from her all looks goo.. let see what happens with the post..

Thanks -- I'm okay with the "upgrade" so far. Looks nice. Two comments so far, but one isn't a bug, just a preference:

- suspected bug: I'm using Firefox. When I'm on the Scouter Forums main page, and click on a forum name, the page refreshes but still leaves me on the Scouter Forums main page (listing all the forum names). Doesn't seem like I can actually enter a forum by clicking on the forum name.

- a preference: on the main forums page, there is a lot of white space between forum names, which means that you don't see as many forum names (most are scrolled off the page). Personally, I don't like to see a lot of white space spacing things out. I prefer to see as much info on a page that I can, so I can scan more information more quickly. For the users that want a bigger font, more space, etc, they can use their page controls to zoom in and out (that part seems to work nicely on this site).

Haven't used many of the new features yet (messaging, subscriptions, etc) but I like the way this stuff is heading.

Nice work, to all involved. Yes, there's going to be some complaints, but dont' worry -- I think things are better.