Announcement Announcement Module
No announcement yet.
Debugging and Suggestions for new SCOUTER.com Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
- Feb 2011
The safeguarded Order of the Arrow subforum for members-only discussion seems to have disappeared. Is this a permanent change or will it return?
I like the change. It looks nice.
A few things.
1) I have posted in this and other strings before, but do not see my post in the thread. Some sort of glitch.
2) My big "want" is to be able to log in and quickly skim through the thread titles that I have not read, or that have new postes in them since I have marked everything as read. With that in mind...
a) What exactly is the link" Click Here to view active topics since your last visit (last 24 hours and before) >>" doing for me? Looking at 24 hour old posts, or looking at posts since my last visit?
b) I see no way to "mark all threads as read".
c) I don't like that this lonk sends me to a page that makes me read the entire first post of the tread. i would much rather just see the title, then if I'm interested, i could click in. Also would be nice if clicking into said thread would take me straight to the first "un-read" post.
3) another forum that I frequent, for non scouting stuff.... gives the option to view a list of the trheads with new posts in them, that I have previosly posted in. Sort of liek a favorites hit list that works out well. First I'll hit that list, then if time permits I'll click on the "new posts since my last login'.... or the other choice is "all unread posts". Again, these all link to a list of the thread titles, not to the post themselves.
- Dec 2009
Where to begin? Perhaps it's because I use Firefox 18, but lots of things don't show up correctly.
None of the tags seem to work (url, color and size in the post above, for example, as well as quote)
The number of pages in a thread seems to broken. One that claimed to have 78 posts only showed 1 page (I had set it to show 40 per page). Going to Latest Activity tab rather than Posts tab seemed to be correct. When I switched back to 10 per page, this thread for example showed 1 of 4 pages yet there were really 7 pages! There's also no way to go to the last page.
Doing a search will give results but no way to get to those actual posts, just the user or forum they were posted in.
The system is even slower than it was before which was already near painful. By far the slowest site I visit. I've given up a couple times already because it just seems to hang.
I really don't see why you didn't go with a proven forum package (eg, phpBB) that would have avoided all these headaches.
After communicating with Terry, the owner of this site, I wish to update and correct what I said before about the Forum Runner app for the iPad, which I assume also is an app for the iPhone, iPod touch, etc.
Here's the story:
This app is NOT affiliated with, subscribed to by, or being promoted by Scouter.com.
As I said earlier, the app does NOT appear to work with Scouter.com (in other words, this site cannot be accessed through the app.)
The popup I received seems to be an attempt to get forum members to bug their forum owners into signing up with the owner of the app.
Apologies for any confusion created by my earlier posts.
- Nov 2001
Only the first 40 posts are displayed, and there is only Page 1 of 1. Others are being written as evidenced by the "Last Post" notation on the menu. Wonder where they're getting posted?
- May 2011
Agree with most of what the others have said:
Site is s-l-o-w------
Thing I thought I posted simply aren't there next time I go look
IN this thread, e.g, it said "Page 1 of 3" at the top, when there are actually 5 pages.
My preference is to have threads sorted "most recent first" so I don' t have to scroll through everything I've already read.
- Jun 2005
Yah, most of da time I can't post because I keep gettin' the JSON error qwazse is talking about. Something about "unexpected character". Really annoyin' after typin' a long message.
NJCubScouter commented02-14-2013, 12:07 PMEditing a commentI get the JSON error about 25 percent of the time I try to post. Yesterday I got a new one, "You are not authorized to post this message." I wanted to ask it, who is authorized to post the message I wrote, if not me? But it's just a computer, so I figured I probably wouldn't get a response.
On the positive, evertime I log in I'm seeing something new.... Maybe I'm just missing stuff, but it looks liek you are making improvements and getting it squared away! Thanks
- 1 Like
- Jun 2002
Question -- where is the button to start a new topic?
Problem -- some threads, like this one, still don't show a second page. Shows "page 1 of 1" . When you manually enter a "2" it will re-calculate and show the second page. This seems to have been fixed on some threads/forums.
Preference -- I liked the old function of providing links by page number next to the main link to the first page of the thread. This allowed me to jump to the last page I read and pick up the thread. Now I have to go to page one of a thread, figure out how many pages there are and go from there. This is difficult now since the number of posts apparently counts comments, and in light of the above problem.
Opportunity -- Forget who was asking this, but if you'll notice on the "active in the past 24" list, the little page icon to the left of the thread name will be blue if there are unread messages in the thread or white if you've read everything.
TERRY -- CONTINUING APPRECIATION FOR YOUR CONTINUING EFFORTS! (E92 -- yeah, I'm yellin' or whatever).
Sometimes, but not all the time, when I click Post Reply, it gives me a warning that the existing reply will be replaced, and asks me if I want to continue anyway. I have been clicking Yes, but I cannot figure out what reply is being erased, if any. I have not noticed any of my own posts missing. I hope I am not erasing anyone else's posts.
Also, I was using Internet Explorer for a couple of other sites and realized IE was running pretty slowly for them too -- not "freeze" slow, but still annoyingly slow, like instead of responding to a click in a half-second it takes five to ten seconds, which if you add all the clicks together, adds up to Way Too Slow. This is one of the reasons I switched from IE to Firefox in the first place. So some of my slowness problems with this site may be the browser -- but that doesn't really help me, since as I said before, Firefox isn't working for me on this site. I find that pretty odd, especially considering that at least one other person has said that this site works for them in Firefox but not in IE! (And before anyone suggests Chrome, I have my issues with that one too.)
- Aug 2008
I have the same desire as several others, I want to see all the active threads in the last 24 hours or since my last visit not each individual post... This was how it worked on the "old" site.
- Jul 2009
Personally, I would like to see another category in the forum...classifieds. I think that we could benefit from both private and commercial classifieds to seek out equipment and uniforms that we need, as well as giving us an opportunity to recycle equipment and uniforms that we have in excess.
Just a thought...
- Jan 2006
1) Still very slow.
2) !! Where is the function to "spin off a new (related) thread)".
3) No "Scouting in the news" item (from last version).
4) I like the connected comments function ala facebook, but How To Spin Off A Related Thread??
5) Classifieds might be a nice touch for commercial stuff. Keep things seperate.
6) Still favor a Faith and Chaplaincy Forum. I believe the amount of discussion of religion / faith/ Scout's Own etc . gives proof of the legitimacy of this.
7) In the last version, we saw the page x of y counter, but it included the ability to go to the page we wished to see first ( the numbers were listed serially). This was on the "last 24 hours" list. The recounting of the whole first message is time wasting and unnecessary. List the "latest message listed" forum list, and let us avoid needing to scroll over the whole list to the "more" button.
8) The button I push for a particular action, may or may not react (change color, retract, etc.), and I may or may not get the little roundandround thingy in the upper left of my windows window. Might be nice for consistancy to see one or the other, or both together.
9) The new system is certainly colorful. And spread out. Last version was more compact. Didn't know any different then, just commenting. If THIS was the "old " system, and THAT was the "new" sysytem, would I like THAT one better? Duknow....
- Oct 2002
I still get that Error Message.
That's the main reason I've not been around this past week or so.