Centenial Rank Badges Restricted?

Hmmmm.... Just got back from the St. Louis Council Scout Shop, where I was not allowed to buy the Centennial versions of the Scout through Eagle rank badges (despite the fact I presented my Eagle Scout card). I was told you had to earn the rank this year in order to be able to buy the Centennial versions. Is this official BSA policy....or were the two kiddos staffing the shop this morning just trying to improve their Ebay scalping efforts?

This may come across as a bit cynical, but as an Eagle, I feel I should be entitled to buy the rank patches for a display I am putting together and really have to wonder if this is official BSA policy or if the fact that Centennial rank sets are going for $30+ on Ebay is the reason behind the refusal by the two young fellows behind the counter to allow me to buy them at the Scout Shop.

(This message has been edited by tenbears)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does not matter which rank it is; paperwork is "supposed to be" furnished to support it. And yes, part of the problem is just that; too many people have been buying them and then trying to profit from them on eBay. It only takes a few greedy idiots to make things more difficult for others.

I picked up one Centennial Eagle patch for my personal collection at our local scout shop about 5 months ago.

As for a policy of only having earned them this year, did scout shops have a decent supply of the non-centennial versions? Lots of scouts were purchasing multiple uniforms for the jamboree, and I'm sure not all of them earned their most recent rank in 2010.

"'buy the Centennial versions of the Scout through Eagle rank badges', ..... just for that reason."

What reason is that, dg98adams?

Maybe you can tell me the reason why it's okay for me to buy a set of non-centennial Scout through Eagle rank badges, which they would sell to me when I presented the "proper paperwork" in the form of my Eagle Scout card, but not the centennial versions? I'm just not seeing the logic behind this distinction. Seems to me that if I'm qualified to buy a non-centennial set, it should be okay for me to buy the centennial set.

Per current BSA policy (as I am now learning), I should only be allowed to purchase a Type 5 Eagle patch, as that was the type issued when I earned mine in 1980. However, I don't seem to recall having a problem when I bought one of the silver jubilee Eagles back in 1985.

Anyway, thanks for the responses.

Oh well, guess it's off to Ebay for a set to use in my display. I get the badges anyway, just have to pay a bit more for them.(This message has been edited by tenbears)

Ten Bears... these (and all rank patches) from the Scout store can only be purchased when an advancement report is turned in.

An Eagle card, while commendable, does not automatically raise you above the policy.

There is the "multiple uniform" issue that occurs, but since it's the same rank the Scout/Scouter is....

The Scout office our troop uses did not get a large quantity of Centennial patches. I would think saving them for the Scout actually earning the rank this year would be a priority.

If you were creating a display, you could use electronic images of the patches instead of the actual patches?

While it is disappointing that every person in every place at every time is not treated exactly the same in every way, it is still the policy of the BSA (which was the original question) to limit the sale of centennial rank patches to those earning their rank this year. Our previous Scout Shop did sell centennial badges to a couple of folks for display boards. These were people they knew - that way the patches did not end up on eBay...

The Scout Shop here, however, is very strict in limiting the sales. Perhaps that is because it a MUCH larger area and they just can't be sure who they're selling to. Or maybe its the fact the Scout Shop staff is so much larger (at least 15 compared to 3) they don't develop the relationships with the Scouters. Or maybe they're just sticking to the rules no matter what.

Both Shops have sold multiple patches to Scouts who needed them (or at least said they needed them, for the cynics out there) for multiple uniforms, especially leading up to the Jamboree.

Though I do not know and can not judge the motivations of the "kiddos" at the St Louis Scout Shop, I prefer to presume they are doing their job rather than making money on eBay. In my experience, Scout Shop employees are generally helpful and, like others in the world, want to be successful. A little courtesy, especially consistent courtesy, goes a long way in building rapport and mutual respect with employees who deal with unsatisfied folks daily.

If you have concerns about the policy or want to ask for an exception, talk to the shop manager or the local Scout Executive. They will probably be able and willing to help you out. Good luck assembling your display.

At national scout shops, the policy is that ANY advancement: ranks, MBs, etc. MUST (caps for emphasis)have an advancement report turned in with the purchase. If it is a replacement, i.e. getting multiple ranks for multiple shirts, then proof of the award AND an advancement report with the word REPLACEMENT ( emph again) must be submitted. that's how it was 10 years ago when I worked in supply

TenBears, in case you do not understand the difference, there are two kinds of Scout Shops.

Those owned and operated by the National Supply Division, and those owned and operated by the local council.

The National Scout Shops are usually more strict about following National's rules, and usually carry more merchandise. The locally owned Scout Shops are often more relaxed, and carry a smaller inventory.

The Scout Shops of the Greater St Louis Area Council are National Scout Shops.

Because of the sets of supposedly controlled and restricted centennial patches showing up on eBay, National issued "very strict" dictates regarding following the letter of the rules on these types of items. I was told about this action at Jambo by one of the National Supply people with whom I was working. So, that is what I meant by "some greedy" individuals ruining things for others.

And, as pointed out by someone else, local people might be more flexible with people they are confident will not misuse the items for personal gain. If anyone, with an Eagle card, could buy restricted insignia at any scout shop, it would make the whole system less effective.

Adults are the primary abusers of trust in regard to these issues. That is obvious from things that occurred at Jambo and in Washington D.C. in regard to "traders".

Go to ebay. That's what sad!

It's a sad commentary when the organazation that issues the Eagle has to enact such rules becayse some who reached that rank may abuse the honor of the system.

Again, go to ebay. That's why it is the way it is. Blame the people trying to make a buck, not National.