NOAC 2015

• 3 months later...

About 8-10 scouts from our chapter were were all gung-ho to go ( a reverse sash?! cool! ) then they saw the price tag... $800 plus. You could just see their minds racing " that's months of no gas for the car, no dinners, or movies with girlfriend (real or just hoped for), no summer camp, no... awww the heck with it."

I understand that to some of us 800 isn't much, but I fear very few boys or dads for that matter, from my neck of the woods will be going. I know that renting a place that big costs a bundle (or two) Perhaps we could do something locally for the 100th.

Locally, our Lodge teamed up with a popular restaurant. If you ate there last night or if you eat there tonight and present a specific coupon, the restaurant will donate a portion of the bill to a fund. Arrowmen who have reserved as sport for NOAC and need financial assistance will be able to apply through this generous fund. Personally, I think it's great that the community is getting behind the Scouts and not pushing them away, as has been the case here lately.

Just last night I was made aware that they are capping the number of adults allowed to participate in a 3:1 ratio to youth Arrowmen--one adult to ever three youth. Since it's a youth-run entitiy, I can fully understand and support this cap. As for deciding which adults get to go, I wouldn't want to be the one to decide!

So, JP, did you change councils yet?

• 5 months later...

3:1 Ratio....Better Hope the Lodge can get a Minimum of 6 To Attend then..Otherwise gonna be hard to have 2 Deep Leadership..

We have the opposite issue. We secured 120 spots and had to issue refunds to another 40 that put down deposits online.

My lodge had 35 deposits paid and ended up with only 23 slots. We picked up additional youth slots, but as Lodge Adviser, I had to refund deposits to 16 adults. They never anticipated the participation when registration opened. Thankfully, I have my staff position that about guarantees me a spot. My responsibilities have me involved in just about every aspect of NOAC and yet I usually do not get to participate or see any of the events. I enjoy the job and the people that I have worked with since ArrowCorps5 in 2008. We are probably th smallest staff and go unnoticed. We run the trucks that haul all of the gear for the program starting days in advance of even the staff reporting.

Hopefully the idea that each lodge bring firewood will be dropped or lodges themselves will just say NO.

IMO using only local firewood needs to be added to LNT if it is not already!

http://www.michigan.gov/mdard/0,4610,7-125-2390_18298_45067---,00.html

"Buy firewood when you reach your destination and burn it all on site"

Sorry to say but kiln wood can be infested, depending on process and location/storage after.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

Use to be the best youth leadership training a scout could get, is NOAC still that way.

Barry

It seems so, but we'll find out. There was a lot of great training choices available when I signed up.

Use to be the best youth leadership training a scout could get, is NOAC still that way.

Barry

Don't know about other training staff, but I ran into a bunch of AIA staffers at our section conclave. Top notch folks. So wish I was going.