OA let my son down

No callout last year, lies from ass. chief(?) blah blah, no troop election this year. The only contact is when we initiate it, my son says OA also stands for Obama Administration, ... makes sense

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Then isn't it up to the youth in your District to do something about that? You can complain, or you can find a solution. If the OA means something to the youth who have been elected as Arrowmen in you

yeah, every story has two sides. As OA Chapter Advisor I can tell you stories about scoutmasters refusing to return phone calls and emails, waiting until the last minute to schedule an election then

The OA is a Boy Scout program, adults are not in charge.   I keep reading posts bashing things your local Lodges/Chapters are and are not doing. One question: how many scouts from your unit are act

What a disappointment.

Encourage your son to have a servant heart. If he does that, the sash will become secondary. That's the Order in a nutshell.

For the rest of you folks who want to warn that there's two sides to every story, I want to say that I've seen our very good lodge make poor administrative decisions. That happens. Sometimes if youth don't step up, and adults have no margin to take up the slack, troops will not have elections. Or, parents will be perplexed. Whatever. We're all learning, I guess. But it takes years for candidate scouts and their units to get over missteps like this.

My sons old troop dropped the OA election ball last year. Failed to have the election until late in the year when a scouter pushed the point. The election was held but the OA lodge failed to notify the scouts when the ordeal was. The elected scouts missed the ordeal. This year (new troop) no problems. The OA lodge is heavily dependent on the scouts running the program. Tell your son that maybe next year things will be different. But he has to push troop to request an election.

My sons old troop dropped the OA election ball last year. Failed to have the election until late in the year when a scouter pushed the point. The election was held but the OA lodge failed to notify the scouts when the ordeal was. The elected scouts missed the ordeal. This year (new troop) no problems. The OA lodge is heavily dependent on the scouts running the program. Tell your son that maybe next year things will be different. But he has to push troop to request an election.
even calls to the "adults" in charge acomplishes nothing
No callout last year' date=' lies from ass. chief(?) blah blah, no troop election this year. The only contact is when we initiate it, my son says OA also stands for Obama Administration, ... makes sense[/quote']

Trust me, they let themselves and your son's troop down more than your son.

even calls to the "adults" in charge acomplishes nothing

The OA is a Boy Scout program, adults are not in charge.

I keep reading posts bashing things your local Lodges/Chapters are and are not doing. One question: how many scouts from your unit are active in the OA?

The OA isn't an outside group, it's made up of scouts from units, yours included ... are you and your scouts promoting the program, and supplying the man power to move things in a positive direction, or just sitting back waiting for others to deliver the program to you?

• Upvote 1

The OA is a Boy Scout program, adults are not in charge.

I keep reading posts bashing things your local Lodges/Chapters are and are not doing. One question: how many scouts from your unit are active in the OA?

The OA isn't an outside group, it's made up of scouts from units, yours included ... are you and your scouts promoting the program, and supplying the man power to move things in a positive direction, or just sitting back waiting for others to deliver the program to you?

Hear, hear!!! As a former Chapter Adviser, I can attest first hand to the lack of support from units. I came from the largest troop in one of the largest districts. My troop has always supported the Lodge and Chapter. No matter how we tried, we just couldn't get other troops off of high center. Only about half of them allow us to do an election for them. We had one troop that resisted each year for years saying that the parents believed OA to be a cult! Say what? It's an official program of the BSA to recognize honor campers and is based on service to others. When the old SM retired, the new SM finally allowed elections. The biggest issue is SM's. I can't tell you how many of them would refuse to be nominated and say they didn't have time for OA in addition to the troop. Boy Scouts may be boy led, but boys follow the example set by adults. If SM Bob doesn't wear his uniform or support the OA, neither will Boy Scout Timmy.

Press you adult leadership to support OA. If you have a non-functioning chapter who won't come do an election, call someone from the lodge. If you can't light a fire under them, contact the Scout Executive. He is the Supreme Chief of the Fire and whether a council has a Lodge or not is solely at his discretion. Your Chapter and Lodge, if properly run provides so many avenues of adventure, service and leadership that compliment a boy's troop career it is unimaginable. Right now, two of our former Lodge Chiefs are serving as Section and Region Chiefs.

• Upvote 1

yeah, every story has two sides. As OA Chapter Advisor I can tell you stories about scoutmasters refusing to return phone calls and emails, waiting until the last minute to schedule an election then complaining because the chapter can't meet their arbitrary deadline, thinking they can hold their own elections without the chapter's involvement, arguing about results, etc., etc., etc. typically also the home of all the sash-and-dashers.

• Upvote 2

The OA, like all other scout programs, is exactly what we make of it. If there's a problem, step up with a solution. The OA program in my District has become a pale shadow of its former self, and I was a complainer, remembering the program from my glory days. Once I took a closer look, and saw the lack of support nor only for the program, but also for the youth who were passionate about the OA, I threw my hat back in the ring. The OA is valuable part of the BSA program, but we must always remember it's comprised of the scouts in our units, and it's mission is to serve and strengthen our units.

• Upvote 1
michigan agagamee something something

That's Agaming Maangogwan. There are 27 counties in the lodge many districts are 3, 4, 5 all the way up to 9 counties. There are often not enough units in some areas of the lodge to do elections.

In Agaming Maangogwan it is up to the youth leaders of every district to contact units about elections. Most will talk at the district round tables to initiate elections.

Call-outs are primarily done at summer camp and the only Agaming Maangogwan based call-out is done at Camp Rotary.

As one of the Lodge Program Advisers for Agaming Maangogwan I will do my best to encourage the youth leaders to rectify any problems, which district/city do you live in?

It is sad to me how many OA lodges in my council and my former councils have bit the dust or are no longer active anymore and the total lack of concern by the councils executives. IMO the OA has seen its apex and has been in a steady decline for the last 15-20 years.

The boys really seem to care less after they get their flap and sash they just seem to disappear.

My Lodge is not great at holding elections. They have an internet sign up process, every year I put in my request, if they show up great, if not I hold my own and notify them of the results.

One suggestion I am going to make for my own Lodge, and would suggest to others, is to hold elections the first or second day of summer camp. You have the manpower (staff), troops have the time, and troops that are unsure of the value of OA can get feedback from other scouters.