OA for adult leader

My son will be crossing over and is interested in OA. I plan to 'cross over' as well from Cub Scout leader to Boy Scout leader. How are adults selected for OA - or did you have to join as a youth?

To join OA, your son first has to be First Class, and have done 15 nights of camping in the past two years, which includes one week (but not more than a week) at summer camp. In addition, he has to get the approval of the Scoutmaster and the Troop (Voted in by at least half of the troop).

For an adult leader, you have either to be an OA member from your youth, or selected as an adult. As an adult, you have the same camping requirement, and I believe that there can be 1 adult per troop per year (may be related to unit size).

As an adult, you have the same camping requirement, and I believe that there can be 1 adult per troop per year (may be related to unit size).

The number of adults a unit can nominate is based on the number of Scouts elected each year. If you have 3 Scouts elected you can send 1 adult. You can also send your SM if they are not a member. If you have 6 Scouts you can send two adults, 9 Scouts = 3 adults, and so on for every three Scouts elected.

Just to dispel any misconceptions, adults are not selected for OA to "honor" them (as are the youths). They are selected based on what they can bring to the table in the form of supporting the youth. Every adult wearing the flap is expected to contribute in some way, not just "hang out" drinking coffee at the fellowships, ordeals and cracker barrels, as many do. Adults can serve in many ways, some of the more common are, serve as advisor to one of the youth officers or committee chairs, serve as drivers, serve as over-21 "adult supervision", use their trade skills for OA work projects, etc. As a former Chapter Advisor, there were many times I had to ask the "adults" to remove themselves to another room during meetings, because they liked to just hang out in the back of the room and chat. And there were some who worked their butts off, if nothing else, serving as a good example of "cheerful service."

Just to dispel any misconceptions' date=' adults are not selected for OA to "honor" them (as are the youths). They are selected based on what they can bring to the table in the form of supporting the youth. Every adult wearing the flap is expected to contribute in some way, not just "hang out" drinking coffee at the fellowships, ordeals and cracker barrels, as many do. Adults can serve in many ways, some of the more common are, serve as advisor to one of the youth officers or committee chairs, serve as drivers, serve as over-21 "adult supervision", use their trade skills for OA work projects, etc. As a former Chapter Advisor, there were many times I had to ask the "adults" to remove themselves to another room during meetings, because they liked to just hang out in the back of the room and chat. And there were some who worked their butts off, if nothing else, serving as a good example of "cheerful service."[/quote']

While this is a lovely sentiment -- and should be how the program works -- it is my experience it doesn't work like this where I live. Whether Ordeal, BH or Vigil, its about politics, good-old boy network and who you are, not what you can do. Sad, but true.