Scoutmaster O/A Sash

I am asking this on behalf of our scoutmaster, who was a member of O/A as a scout. Would it be inappropriate for him to wear his sash at a Troop Court of Honor? He wants to introduce the troop (which is relatively young and new) to O/A and thinks this might garner some interest.

but not if its not recommended.

Thanks in adavance

I'd say wear it. It's a formal occasion, so from a uniform standpoint it's appropriate. And he's trying to garner interest in the OA to a new troop, so they kids should see it. I've often been asked by parents in my pack what that pocket flap is for, and when I tell them about the OA they always seem to be in favor of it.

Some people here seem to be very against adults having too many patches and stuff on the uniforms. I'm of the opinion that showing an active uniform can both get the kids interested in having stuff on theirs and indicates to parents you might have a clue about this scouting thing.

The sash should be worn at Order of the Arrow functions or when one needs to be identifiable as an Arrowman. I think it's nice that your Scoutmaster wants to promote the OA. However, I think inviting a few Arrowmen from the local Lodge might be a better idea. That way the young Scouts can see what the older guys are doing and look forward to potentially being Arrowmen themselves. Then, after these invitees do their thing your Scoutmaster could then show off his sash and explain that he, too, is an Arromwan and was chosen by his fellow Scouts back in the day.

Since the OA is a youth-run organization, I think it's always best to have the youth come by and share their experiences.

That being said, I know that lots of folks wear their sashes at courts of honor. I personally think it's best to reserve the sash for OA events.

• Upvote 1

Some people here seem to be very against adults having too many patches and stuff on the uniforms. I'm of the opinion that showing an active uniform can both get the kids interested in having stuff on theirs and indicates to parents you might have a clue about this scouting thing.

You're correct. Some do favor a "slick" uniform. However, I personally think the OA lodge flap is important and shows the youth that you, too, are involved as an Arrowman--assuming you pay your dues and are, well, active. P-B-Dubs, I think you're onto something there vis-à-vis letting the parents know you are knowledgeable.

But I still think the OA sash should be reserved for OA events. :)

Interesting question.

While for a very brief period it the late 1980s to early 1990s it was OK to wear OA sashes at COHs and other formal occasions, if i can find my OAHB from the time I'll post the relevant pages, prior to that time and currently it is not. OA sashes for OA events or doing OA duties, i.e. camp promotions, unit elections, etc.

What may be an idea to spark interest in the OA, as well as get folks pumped up for summer camp, is to have the local OA chapter or lodge do a summer camp promotion at the COH. And if anyone is eligible for the OA do the election, and possibly the Call Out if that is done at the troop level in your neck of the woods, at the COH. The he, and any other Arrowman would have an excuse to wear the sash in support of the camp promo team.

OH and if you do do a camp promo, please remember to invite 2nd year Webelos who may join your troop to the COH. ;)

THanks for the replies guys. I have forwareded him the URL to this thread. Our COH is monday, and we don't have time to get the local lodge involved, as we are about 3 hours away from them. and 2 days (not including the weekend) is not enough notice IMO. but great ideas to think of for future CoH's

I have to admit, I'm not a fan of the OA sash at OA events only rule. I do think it's fine to wear at formal occasions even if it's just outside the rules. If the SM actively trying to promote the OA then absolutely he should wear it and I'd interpret that as inside the rules.

If the Lodge is 3 hours away there is probably a chapter closer, or just reach out to the nearest troop to see if some arrowmen would like to attend your CoH. It doesn't have to be Lodge sanctioned event if they're just stopping by to say hi.

The camp promo is a great idea, the chapter chief has it on his JTE goals anyway I suspect.

I have a photo of me with my grandparents at Court of Honor. My Scoutmaster is handing me my Second Class rank badge and hanging from his belt...is his Vigil Honor sash. From the forum and the Bryan on Scouting blog comments, I know ppl get all worked up about that AND when Scouts put their merit badge sash in their pants/belt area.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter in the long run. If your Scoutmaster wants to wear his OA sash at the Court of Honor to promote the OA then he should just do it. E. Urner Goodman probably wouldn't be offended. ;)

But I still think having current Arrowmen in attendance would be best.

1) If he is not an "active" member (paid his dues? Listed in the Chapter roster?) he should not wear the OA sash. Not wearing it would show his support of the "correct wearing of the BSA uniform".

2) If his desire is to promote OA membership and activities, see #1.

3) If his desire is to promote OA membership and activities, contact the Council office to get in touch with the Council Camp Chair, OR the District Camp Chair, who would be able to get the OA Lodge/ Chapter to send someone (with video?) to talk about up-to-date OA things. You could do this, the SM , if he is busy, would probably appreciate you acting on his behalf.

4) You could download and show http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=order+of+the+arrow+video&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=F0CBE1D85C62D9B074FAF0CBE1D85C62D9B074FA as an introduction.... There are others....

5) If the SM is eager to get the boys interested in the OA as a means to honor the Scouts worthy of such things, he should go to his PLC and enlist their interest and support.

6) It is worthy of pursuit.

Good Scouting to you!

Here is a map of our Council. We are in Chapter 12. As you can see we are geographically pretty large. However after looking at this I see there is someone closer to us than I orignally thought. (preface: I am not an arrowman, nor was I in scouts, so alot of this is new to me, including this website :-).) However the timing was still too short for this go-round. But I do like the idea to get the lodge/chapter involved, but it will have to be for future CoH's.