Should I accept an nomination/election ?

At this point I will be the only leader at summer camp this year for the full week. The new SM and ASM will be taking shifts and both will be fresh out IOLS and I am the only leader eligible for OA and if elected/nominated would be the only active leader in OA in the unit after the current SM steps down shortly. I meet all objective requirements. My main concern is I require my CPAP for sleeping and do not have the funds for a more portable light battery system and don't want to lug heavy, big deep cycle battery around the woods. These two guys had the idea of Co-SM, but I had to squash that one. Given their "part-time" ideas of leadership and inability to attend camp for the full week, if I don't join OA the unit will likely have no AO leadership for the foreseeable future. Not sure how important that is.

You won't offend anybody by turning it sown this year. One thing you might ask is if you could be called out on a different week of summer camp. You could let the lodge or chapter advisor know your concerns.

Just off the cuff, the OA is a boy group with adult guidance, at least in theory. If the Chapter has good adult leaders and the Chapter is active and doing well, then I don't see any real need for another adult on the roster. You can always champion OA in your troop without being a member of the OA yourself. One does not need to be an OA member to make sure your boys have an opportunity to be involved with the program.

Stosh

In our council if a unit leader is called out and this leaves the unit short on help, a staff member of commissioner will step in temporarily during the ordeal process. Also our council offers Ordeal ceremonies during thew fall and spring fellowships for those electees unable to do it at camp.

Dale

At this point I will be the only leader at summer camp this year for the full week. The new SM and ASM will be taking shifts and both will be fresh out IOLS and I am the only leader eligible for OA and if elected/nominated would be the only active leader in OA in the unit after the current SM steps down shortly. I meet all objective requirements. My main concern is I require my CPAP for sleeping and do not have the funds for a more portable light battery system and don't want to lug heavy' date=' big deep cycle battery around the woods. These two guys had the idea of Co-SM, but I had to squash that one. Given their "part-time" ideas of leadership and inability to attend camp for the full week, if I don't join OA the unit will likely have no AO leadership for the foreseeable future. Not sure how important that is.[/quote']

What's the worry? OA is boy led. You don't need a OA SM or ASM to have boys in your troop in OA.

Thanks, my UC and COR are members so I will consult with them if another adult would be beneficial to the local chapter and see how the scheduling works out. Given the CPAP would it be considered good form to take part in the pre-ordeal or whatever goes on that first night ?

Personally, I would accept it and go through with the ceremonies. It would help you better understand OA. But, it has little bearing on your involvement with your troop. OA is youth run. At most, you will be able to represent and/or explain OA to interested adults. That is helpful. There is no long term obligation and, from what I've seen, there is no adult position in your own troop relative to OA.

I'd go through with it because in future years you may have other adults who would be worthy of OA and at the same time you might want to get involved and/or help.

Personally, if you like doing service for others, then accept it. If you don't think you will get involved helping OA sometime in the future (opening camps, service projects, staffing conclaves, etc) then pass on it.

If the issue is having enough adults at camp during some immediate OA ordeal, that can be solved. Camp staff will step in if nothing else.

Points re adults in OA on target. I do have one question, as I believe ALL adult members nominated by the unit have to have the committee approval and be submitted on a form for approval outside the regular election procedure. So, if you unit has not done that, then you would be ineligible to be called out anyway. If my understanding of the adult rules is incorrect, please someone point me in the right direction. Thanks. Good luck with whatever decision is the outcome.

From the OA Handbook:

As a scouter, you wear the Arrow to make it more significant to Scouts. If you were elected as an adult, it was for this reason, rather than as an honor or award. Nonetheless, your own induction into the Order is your opportunity for personal growth. Further, you are observed by younger Arrowmen and must be an exemplary participant.

That's the crux of it, you should become an arrowman to better serve the order and help make it a more meaningful honor for the scouts.

I would hope that the lodge will make accomodations for you to use your CPAP. Please don't reject a nomination for that reason, instead let the lodge know of this so it can be properly handled.

• Downvote 1

The CPAP runs on 24V DC. So I need a 24V battery or a 12-24V converter, plus a lighter battery. The last time I looked into it the converter from the manufacturer it was $90, might do a bit better if I DIY it with the right connections. Just need to make sure it is right so I don't fry the CPAP and PO the insurance company. My current system is horribly inefficient and heavy but just hobbled it together with what I had on hand. Marine battery to AC inverter to the CPAP power supply converts back to DC.

I did go through OA to help gain knowledge myself as I obviously wasn't an OA youth member and that way can help the scouts.

As for medical issues best is to let someone in the know know about them. If it's something they can work around I'm sure they will. Once "called out" you have that summer camp, fall fellowship, and spring conclave to complete Ordeal (at least here you have those) I don't have same the health issues, but do have some and had to work with them to get through. For me it was really easy here's what I can't do and they'd say ok there would be an issue with this and that what about doing it this other way. And poof made it through

Not Knowing your Lodge I have no Knowledge of their way of Doing things..

Here is How My Lodge Does Call Out Ceremonies...

Everyone at Camp is invite to Ceremony..Dance Team Does Some Dancing...after Dancing Call Out Ceremony is Started...Candidates are Called Out. They Spend about 1 Hour socializing with Lodge Members and Enjoy some Watermelon before Returning to their Units....

Candidates then have 1 year to attend either a Winter or Summer Ordeal...If Not they must be re-elected.

Troops don't need Adult OA Leadership...There is only 1 Troop OA Position and that Is a Youth's Position..OA Troop Representative..Their Job help Inform Troop Members of OA events and Promote OA.

OA Adult Leadership is done at Lodge Level in Adviser Roles...All Lodge Decisions are made by Youth Members under 21...

Can Candidates with Disabilities be elected and Pass Ordeal...Yes. Medical Accommodations can be Made.

We just had a Member in a wheelchair and a Member on CPAP go through our Lodge Ordeal.

jpstodwftexas is right on. Same for our summer camp. Call out means being separated from your unit for about 15 minutes minimum to as long as you want to socialize. No more than 15 minutes is required though.

As for CPAP, if you can go to summer camp with it, you can get through an OA ordeal with it. Just let them know in advance.