Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A shame woodbadge mom hasn't learned a darn thing in all of those training courses she sat in.

Boy led, It is actually more than just a noble idea

Comment

"One half year being an honorable camper. Making sure everyone's pack is in order, making sure all other tents are up before pitching your own, polishing those grills, being obsessive about litter pick-up, whipping the ends of every frayed rope, coiling every loose rope, being THE GUY scouts can go to when they can't figure out a skill, cleaning windows and mirrors during the fuel stop, being first gathering kindling to start the fire. And doing all of it with a cheerful and friendly disposition ... THAT entitles you to other boy's votes."

Well, yes and no. A lot of OA is about brotherhood and leadership. To me, brotherhood implies team effort. If your potential OA candidate led agroup in gathering kindling while telling them which wood made good kindling and which did not, organized a race to see which could clean their half of the van windows quickest, initiates teaching a skill... then he would be the ideal candidate.

When I was elected to undergo the OA ordeal, I was the only one from my school in my troop

Comment

From What I read..Scout has been in The Same Troop for 4 Years...Has Achieved First Class Requirement (Life)...Has been Very Active (Missed about 4 Things in 4 Years)...Active in Community Service. Assists Younger Scouts..Etc

Yet Everyone Says he Needs to Politic...A Scouts Politics by Doing Actions, not by Asking and Talking..
        Obviously something is wrong so where...Something we don't Know about..

Comment

Originally posted by jpstodwftexas View Post
          ..Scout has been in The Same Troop for 4 Years...Has Achieved First Class Requirement (Life)...Has been Very Active (Missed about 4 Things in 4 Years)...Active in Community Service. Assists Younger Scouts..Etc

...Something we don't Know about..
          The two scouts I knew who were just like that and didn't get elected on first (sometimes 2nd, 3rd) round:

One had a penchant for practical jokes.

The other was foul-mouthed.

Parents were clueless. We just told them that we identified with the boys things they could work on, and we'll see if that changes things next year.

Comment

Not everyone said he needs to politic.

I think begging, asking or pleading for votes is very contrary for what the OA is supposed to stand for.

This lad and more to the point his mom is all about check marks. Well he has earned all of the merit badges but one for eagle, he had gone to the jamboree, he spends an extra week at summer camp.

So he will do what most boys do in the OA.......Sash and Dash, line complete check mark

Comment

BD I didn't realize you knew the OP and her son.

Comment

Fair enough.

But read her post.

It is very clearly about keeping score.

It isn't about the fall fellowship or the conclave.

It is about the pocket flap and the sash.

BTW my son was elected chapter chief thursday night.
                Last edited by Basementdweller; 04-07-2014, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jpstodwftexas View Post
                  From What I read..Scout has been in The Same Troop for 4 Years...Has Achieved First Class Requirement (Life)...Has been Very Active (Missed about 4 Things in 4 Years)...Active in Community Service. Assists Younger Scouts..Etc
                  Yet Everyone Says he Needs to Politic...A Scouts Politics by Doing Actions, not by Asking and Talking..
                  Obviously something is wrong so where...Something we don't Know about..

If the boy is as helpful, etc., as the mom claims, then he can't do anything more in terms of service--he is doing actions. His only choice is to get the boys to like him. That said, I doubt he is as helpful as mom claims, at least when adults aren't looking. As BD said, boys aren't stupid. They know who works hard, etc. They know who has to be prodded to break camp, vs. those who are working hard withou being told.

Comment

Some troops are just tough when it comes to the elections too. A couple weeks ago I went to a troop election with 23 names on the ballot. Of those 23, only 3 were elected. Those scouts have set a high bar to get into the OA. This obviously isn't a new thing otherwise there would have been more members in the OA and less on the ballot.

Comment

My son was elected to OA recently and attended Ordeal this past weekend. Another boy in his Troop was not elected and his mother was VERY upset about it. So she had one of the ASM sign an Ordeal registration form for her son. She took him to Ordeal on Friday with the signed form and registration money and the OA staff allowed him to stay and complete Ordeal. So I can tell you that I know being voted in by your peers is not the only way in...at least at this lodge.

I would not recommend this route as it has caused a conflict in the Troop and the boys who were honestly voted in feel like they have been slighted. And I feel like it took something away from their experience.

I have considered contacting OA staff for the lodge and discuss my concerns but at this point I can't decide. What do you all think?

Comment

JC's Mom,

Whats done is done. It's a bad situation, but all you will do is make it worse. What woudl you want done? Would you want the boy with the pushy mom to be stripped of his unearned sash? Do you think that will make things any better? The boys who were voted in did lose out.

Comment

It is a bad situation. And you are right, what's done is done. I haven't contacted the lodge yet because there is nothing that can be done at this point to make it right for anyone. Guess I am more just really disgusted that this "honor society" which has rules in place for elections did not follow their own rules. I don't see the "honor" in it anymore.

Comment

It is not your horse to whip. The council should step in and clarify how this was allowed in the first place, as should the troop committee. Someone needs to make it clear to the ASM and leadership in general that they have NO authority to override the normal channels. And those on the OA staff who allowed it need to be retrained too, as there should have been a list of scouts that DID get elected and were invited to do the Ordeal.

Comment

Right. It is not really my fight as my son's OA election and Ordeal was handled the correct way. I just hate that it overshadowed the experience for him and the other boys.

Comment

Park the helicopter at Woodbadge and leave your son's Scouting experiences in his own hands. The fact that you mentioned being on Woodbadge staff speaks volumes. If he needs to ask for votes he is not a good candidate for the OA. The OA is not just something to add to a resume.

Comment

Working...
                                X