Why no Lodge Chief position patch?

I recently took office as chief of a lodge which shall go unnamed. Not long after I took office, I went to the local scout shop pick up position patch for my new office. You can imagine my disappointment when I was told national does not have a Lodge or Chapter Chief shoulder patch.

The next day I called the OA office at national to inquire about it. They said that national "wanted the youth to focus on their leadership position within their troop."

To which I replied, "But what about the Lodge and Chapter Advisors? They are usually Scoutmasters or ASMs."

Her response? "Well, they're adults."

I thanked the woman for her time and hung up, and the air around me quickly turned blue (as it often does when national policy comes up in conversation).

All throughout the program, we youth have more patches thrown at us than we possibly know what to do with. Troop position patches, district, council, and lodge event patches, but on this,we get the short end of the hiking stick! Not to mention the fact that if you are being a good lodge chief (ie: making sure everything is happening the way it should) you're not going to have time to be an SPL or a Troop QM! That bit about "Well, they're adults" enraged me even further. A properly dedicated lodge advisor or Scoutmaster (a position I hold in the highest regard) shouldn't be double booked either, nor should they be held to a different standard when it comes to position recognition.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's the way our lodge gives the Chief "special status"   We made a special lodge flap for the chief. (Has a different color border then the regular issue flap.    

Gonzo,

Welcome to the forum. I think you are on to something there. Maybe get in touch with all of your fellow Lodge Chiefs and circulate a petition to submit to national. As to the reason? Maybe it is money - a run of only a couple hundred a year (of which they might only sell 100 or so a year) just does not capture their attention.

Welcome, Gonzo. A well written, post, I might add. The difference for adults may rest (I think) in the fact that a Chapter or Lodge advisor is technically a member of the District or Council Committee, therefore when they are are serving in their advisor capacity, they should wear silver shoulder loops, their OA position patch, sans unit numbers. As was stated, a youth arrowman's first responsibility is to his troop. That being said, I agree that a Lodge or Chapter Chief should be able to wear a position patch. There are unofficial ones available on Ebay, but of course we can't wear them on the uniform.

Semper, there can't be much of a market for "Council President", "Chief Scout Executive" or "Lodge Advisor", either, but those are available.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

I talked to my Lodge chief today,he put down the idea saying that the lodge chief is a council postion (true) and that a council position patch would require you to wear the silver loops and dump the troop numbers, thus conflicting with the troop thing

Lodge chief is not a council position, it is a lodge position. It does not require the removal of troop numbers and the wearing of silver loops. Only those whose primary registration is at the district or council level wear the silver loops. If one's primary registration is on the troop level, one wears the red loops even if serving on a district committee. I am registered as an assistant scoutmaster but also serve on the council camping committee and am associate lodge advisor, I wear the red loops.

More to the point of the thread, I'd love to see an official lodge chief position patch. Being a lodge chief is quite an honor and a very big job.

Lodge chief is not a council position, it is a lodge position. It does not require the removal of troop numbers and the wearing of silver loops. Only those whose primary registration is at the district or council level wear the silver loops. If one's primary registration is on the troop level, one wears the red loops even if serving on a district committee. I am registered as an assistant scoutmaster but also serve on the council camping committee and am associate lodge advisor, I wear the red loops.

More to the point of the thread, I'd love to see an official lodge chief position patch. Being a lodge chief is quite an honor and a very big job.

I'd love to see one available as well. In fact I'd opt for Chapter Chief Patch as well. We are a large lodge in San Diego. Our chapter (1 of the 9) has almost 300 members. That's a position worthy of a patch.

My 2001 Scouting Collectibles book tells me only of the one released 72-76. (They're worth a fortune too.)

There are knock off's available online (Lodge and Chapter) for about $3.50 each. They are slightly different, and of course not approved by National. I suppose they could be worn as a "Temporary Patch" but that doesn't give credit where credit is due.

• 1 month later...

As someone said before me, back in the early 90's National did issue a Lodge Chief patch, in fact in was shown in National's catalog. I know because my son was Lodge Chief during that time and I ordered 10 of those patches because we heard the rumor that they were going to be discontinued almost immediately upon issue. I did get the 10 I orderd and still have them today. I hear they are worth a few bucks too.

This question was asked in the NE Region FAQ.

"Q: Why is it that in a program that places so much emphasis on youth leadership, it is only the adult advisers in the Order that wear badges of office? Sunday 21st of September 2003

A: The Youth of the Order of the Arrow's primary responsibility should always be serving his unit. Therefore, the badge he should wear is of his troop or team. Adult OA Scouters are recognized because they are on council or district committees. The Lodge Adviser sits on the council's camping committee, as chapter advisers sit on the district committees. This is also the case with associate lodge/chapter advisers, though, the exact committees with them might vary. Friday 31st of October 2003"

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that the position patches for lodge chief were discontinued because they were produced without the permission of national. I feel that if you have been elected to this honorable position that you should be recognized when you are at functions in which people do not know you. All of the chiefs from my lodge, which is only 10 years old, have worn these patches. My lodge adviser gave me "permission" to wear it even though it is illegal. The chiefs from my lodge have also worn the silver loops. We have done this because we are on the council camping and activities committee. I have aspirations to become a Section Chief and a National Officer and that is on my to do list.