I thought I was the only one who couldn't get into the restricted area of the OA forum until Eamonn mentioned the same problem in another post. Is there some way we can comfirm the correct spelling of the "password"? If someone with access can PM me possibly I can convince you of my OA credentials and get the correct password?

Actually, this is sort of a funny story. During my ordeal (30+ years ago) when the "password" was whispered to me, I didn't understand it. Of course it really was an appropriate time to say, "Excuse me but I didn't hear that right, can you repeat it please?"

A year or so later, about the time I was going for Brotherhood, I fessed up to a friend on the ceremony team that I didn't know what the "password" was. He said nobody really knows what what it is, that's why they mumble when they tell you. He said he remembered it because it very loosely sounded like the name of a character on a TV show at the time. We both had a good laugh over it.

Someone please contact me. I can at least give you the name of the TV character.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A year or so later, about the time I was going for Brotherhood, I fessed up to a friend on the ceremony team that I didn't know what the "password" was. He said nobody really knows what what it is, that's why they mumble when they tell you. He said he remembered it because it very loosely sounded like the name of a character on a TV show at the time. We both had a good laugh over it."

I think any boy on the ceremony team would know the admonition. It's in both the Ordeal and Brotherhood ceremony booklets. I would hope that any boy in the ceremony would have a copy since he needs to memorize the part he's portraying.

Definitely it's easier to find out what the admonition is now than it was thirty years ago. I've done google searches for it and it can be found though it does take some perseverence.

SWScouter

Fellow OA members, I have received a few private messages that express concerns that this thread may be getting to close to an outright declaration of the word If you wish to help or need help, may I suggest the use of the private message system? I (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

Is this another area of "law" not being able to catch up with "science."

If I remember correctly, the admonition should only be whispered to another Arrowman. Therefore, does utilizing the admonition as a password violate the spirit of the law? Well, for arguments sake, the OA web site shows the admonition, it's meaning and the proper pronunciation both orally and by type.

As a Ceremonies Team Coach and a Associate Lodge Adviser, I tell my team members that when it is time to give the admonition they should say it clearly and slowly and not in a whisper. I felt that it was ok to say it out loud because everyone there in the line will hear it anyway and everyone there should be OA members. Our Lodge uses the admonition as the password for entrance to your Lodge Meetings and if they have no idea what the admonition is (because it was whispered and mumbled) how are they going to learn it because its not in the OA Handbook anymore.

Aloha,

Ken

• 1 month later...

hi everyone. I just did my ordeal 2 days ago and got the admonition last evening at the ceremony. Well Allowat Sakima didnt say it loud enough for me to hear. My lodge rep (Amagamnek Wipit 470) gave it to the other new members but he didnt spell it corretly. If someone can PM me with the admontion, i'd greatly appreciate, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Looking at Twocubdads email brought a smile. I got my Brotherhood years ago when I was a youth. When I got back in to Scouts years later as an adult I had to ask one of the older boys the password. They all got a big chuckle out of it.

On a side note: Just want to congratulate one of our Scouts, Jake Wellman on his selection as the National Order of the Arrow Chief. He is an amazing young man and will do great things for the Order.