Hi,

My 9 yr old son (Wolf Cub) has a learning disability (a form of dyslexia) which caused us to keep him back in Kindergarten, right now he's in the 2nd Grade but he is only at a 1st grade reading level. He is also in speech therapy.

He is a very big boy for his age (tall) but he displays the character and personality of a typical 9 yr old (people mistakenly think he's 11 or 12 when first meeting him). He has social difficulties, is a little clumsy so doesn't do well in active sports as his co-ordination is a little off too. He is progressing well but, of course, he is in some respects not at the same level as other boys his age due to his difficulties. As a result, he finds it difficult to make friends (the other kids tease him and bully him, despite his size, because of his 'differences'). He has a very sweet gentle disposition, and is very talented in other areas (creative) and despite having trouble reading and writing he is very intelligent.

I am the (new) Cub Master in our pack, so I am in a good position to make sure that he is treated fairly, and to help teach greater understanding among the other kids and parents for kids with disabilities, but the only problem I have is that at our pack and den meetings the kids treat him well, but when he's at school, some of these same boys that he's in scouting with has been picking on him.

Any suggestions on how to approach this situation diplomatically with both kids and parents in the pack? I don't want to single my son out, but I do think it is an important issue to raise, without specifically mentioning my son or the kids involved in the actual bullying.

Thx

There's not a whole lot of you can do about the teasing that happens at school other than to try and reinforce with the cubs at the pack level that we always treat others the way we want to be treated and try to talk in general terms. If teasing goes on at den meetings or pack meetings then make sure that your adult leaders stay on top of it and don't allow it to happen. Try to have other adults address it if they see it happening with your son at pack gatherings.

sue m.