I need some help. I am looking for any information you may have on including children with disabilities in scouting. I am trying to create a training session for leaders to help increase the number of disabled scouts in our area. Information on BSA info or on personal experiences are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What a great idea....best of luck and I echo the sentiments of OldGrey Eagle.

As a Webelos Leader, I have a cerebal palsy scout that has been with me for over a year now in my den and it has been a great experience for all of my boys. Since this was new to me, I thought it might take a small discussion about the disability, but the discussion has never transpired and my scouts have treated each other no differently regardless of the wheelchair, physical limitations or other disabilities. The parents of the scout told me what to expect and have been a great source of information.

Good luck!

There is an incredible website with tons of information, called Working with Scouts with DisAbilities. It's part of the Marin council's web site. The address is:

www.boyscouts-marin.org/wwswd/index.htm

You'll find lots of articles, information and links there regarding a variety of disabilities.

Elizabeth