Obama not speaking in person at Jambo

So the news is out that President Obama will not be speaking in person at the Jamboree, but instead appearing in a pre-taped message. That should assauge some of the security concerns.

And before this thread gets flooded with "Obama hates Scouts" comments ... Ronald Reagan and Richard Nixon never spoke at Jambo, either. (Neither did Ford, but that wasn't his fault. The '73 and '77 events bracketed his partial term.)

Source: http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/69988

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Jamboree has enough challenges with out a presidential visit, I was incountry Korea when a president came to visit, he came nowhere near Camp Casey and we were still restricted to base and on alert, no fun was had by any.

This is the 100th anniversary of Scouting, not just a typical Jamboree. If scouting was at all important to the President, he would make a personal appearance. I don't think it is, and that's his prerogative as President. It does nothing to make me like him more, but I'm sure his base is happy about it. They despise Scouting.

"I'm sure his base is happy about it. They despise Scouting."

Perdido, I'm not sure why you feel you can speak for me. As a member of his "base", I certainly have never given anyone reason to think I despise Scouting. Quite the contrary.

Or were you just being divisive?

You might be surprised to know there are a lot of folks in his "base" at AP Hill this week who are quite devoted to Scouting. I'm one of them. But this is the situation the BSA puts itself into when it takes a pretty blatantly discriminatory policy and puts it at the forefront of it's identity as an organization. Yes, the Supreme Court has given it the right to do so, but the BSA has to live with it.

I look at this situation and think that a bunch of adults got in the way of thousands of young men having the opportunity to see a sitting president in the flesh. Any sighs of relief about security procedures are total hogwash.

Trevorum,

I'm disappointed that the President could not make time for the 100th anniversary of Scouting. It's not like this was something that just came up. His staff knew about it for years. I will be a bit more specific. The left fringe of the Democratic party (which is becoming the base) despises Scouting. We are "homophobic" and pro-religion.

Bando,

From your statement "I look at this situation and think that a bunch of adults got in the way of thousands of young men having the opportunity to see a sitting president in the flesh." I guess you agree with me that the President is not coming to the Jamboree for political reasons.

I mentioned to several boys yesterday that Obama wasn't coming. Of course, they wouldn't know how much security, etc they would have had to go through, but they were disappointed they wouldn't get to see a president.

I dont know how disappointed my son (who is at Jambo) is that the President is not speaking in the flesh, but he was happy to hear that Taylor Swift will be there!

I personally am disappointed with the Presidents decision. I agree with the comment that the concerns about security are hogwash its a military base after all, far more secure than Bar Harbor, and he would be speaking to Boy Scouts. As a former community organizer you would think that speaking to members of an organization of which service is one of its core principles would be appealing to the President. One would think that he would realize that the gay/religion conundrum has little meaning to all those boys gathered there, but for those boys to be able to say that they saw and heard (and hopefully were inspired by) the President of the United States would be something they would carry with them for a lifetime. Bad, unfortunate decision. If its for politics it sort of falls in line with the old saying that Scouting is fun until the adults (read political pressure) get involved.

I guess they needed all that extra security for Chelseas wedding.

YIS

Mike