New Morse Code interpreter strip

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, morse code is pretty much an obsolete skill in the digital age.

Cool looking strip, though! I might get me one of those.

(Thinking back on the good old days of rag chewing on 40 meters on my homebrew CW transmitter made mostly from parts from an old television set.)

I think that memorizing the ascii codes for various symbols and such would have more practical utility than morse code these days.

I would compare it to slide rules, which provided greatly utility for about 300 years before being made obsolete by calculators.

Anyone ever wonder what the world would be like if the 'code' had been called the 'Xiaobao' or 'Kulakov' code (Chinese or Russian, respectively)? I wonder how the fact that it was invented and spread using the English language (at least initially) must have affected what we now view as history?

Or....WAS it first invented by the Maya and we're now terribly mistaken about the interpretation of what's predicted for, what was it, December 21, 2012?

Or as quite a few of us around these parts are fond of saying, "Save your Confederate money, the South's going to rise again!" maybe on 21 December. ;) Or not.

Uses for Morse Code: (so far)(other than Scout badge earning)

+ Saving the world from alien domination

+ Ham radio

+ Impressing girl friends

+ secret (maybe) messages between friends at school

+ POW communication between cells

+ Lifeguards commenting on beach patron physiology (okay, this was semaphore when I observed it)

+ Buddy bonding between upstairs bedrooms across the street (by flashlight)

+ Saving train from imminent wreck ("Young Tom Edison")

+ Announcing final railroad spike driving for UP-CP join up

+

HowmIdoin?

I'm thinking it rather strange that there is now an interpreter strip for what was once a 2nd Class requirement.

As far as ham operators, the Morse Code requirement was dropped a couple of years back.

Morse Code needs two people who understand it to communicate in it. How's that working out for you? :)

Anyone know what SOS really means? ...---... ?

Stosh

I remember when it was a requirement. Still have my BSA Morse Code Kit. Maybe work it into Scouting Heritage MB.

As for the meaning of SOS. Does not really stand for anything thoufh there have been many interpretations. It was chosen simply because it was an easy code to send.

I've seen blacksmith shops at Scout camps that teach the metalworking merit badge and such.

Has anyone seen an amateur radio station set up at a Scout camp that teaches the radio or other Merit Badge? That would probably have some interest among Scouts.

We have a local explorer post that does ham radio and electronics.

They set up at the annual ScoutORama scout fair and get a lot of participants.

and they will come out to almost any camporee if asked far enough in advance and work on ham radio and radio merit badge in addition to some electronics or electricity merit badge stuff. You may get the whole badges done there but not usually complete.

That's where my husband and oldest got interested in Ham radio so they are dual registered in a troop and the explorer post.