Increasing monthly Campout Attendance

I am looking for ideas to increase attendance on monthly camping trips

It’s not that we are doing bad a job compared to what else I am seeing out there but I think we can do better

An example is this weekend’s trip.

We are going to the local Scout camp in a rustic cabin (no Elec and a wood stove for heat).

With the temperatures going down to -10 deg. Friday night we still have 25 out of 38 scouts going, but only 2 of the 8 WEBELOS that crossed over a week ago are going.

As a side note - we have rented the biggest cabin at the camp and with 7 or 8 adults going the cabin will be full.

I think a couple of the adults are bringing cots to make sure there are enough places to sleep.

We do get a little higher numbers once the weather gets better and get over 90% of the Troop attending summer camp but I think we can do better for out monthly trips.

Any ideas to increase attendance?

No matter how big the catch, it's always the ones that got away! ;)

Sounds like your answers will be found in the 13 scouts and 5 crossovers who missed the event. You (and your PLC) need to tease out:

• Health issues. (I had one crew member with circulation problems ... Dr.'s orders: no cold weather)
  • Apprehension on the part of the boy or parents. (Never mind that when the ice snaps power lines, beside that wood stove is the most comfortable place to be!)
  • Other activities/obligations.
  • Doesn't like camping.
  • Not prepared (no gear or training) for a particular event.

Then think about what you all might need to change. Obviously, getting everyone prepared isn't gonna help if most of your absenteeism is due to other obligations.

One general strategy is to be flexible with older scouts who are often very active in several things per season. If their parents approve, let them drive up Saturday evening or encourage them to stop by for breakfast. Chances are they don't need the camping nights or service hours, but fellow-ship is a big deal. Warning: this could open the door for parents of younger scouts to try to spread their boy's weekend too thin. Be frank with parents in explaining that every boy is different and what may work for some of the boys is not working for their son.

Another is your after-action review at the next meeting. This is usually best started by a report from the youngest scout (maybe with the help of a buddy). His perspective on things usually reminds the rest of the group of the fun that could be had anywhere.

Individually find out from each non attendee why they weren't able to come. Most of the answers will be found in the five reasons Qwazse listed. Some of them are easier to overcome than others. But honestly, you're doing well, I don't think you'll get much better. When we've tracked down each non attendee for a reason, family and other extra-curricular conflicts reduce our percentages below yours for any given weekend.

2 of 8 Webelos attending.

The parents of newly crossed over Webelos may not have enough confidence in the troop leadership to let their child go out in the cold for so long. To the parents, they are still children, while to you they are scouts. I would also agree that lack of gear may be a tipping point for newly crossed over. I would bet that some of the lack of attendance is from parents with holding scouts vs. new scouts not wanting to go.

How many of the Webelos have ever spent a weekend or even a single night away from their parents? I bet only 2-3 of the 8 have ever spent a night away from their parents. Fear of the unknown for both the parent and the scout. Add in lack of preparation time and not terribly surprising.

Keep in mind that Webelos and parents are used to 2-3 den meetings a month with maybe one or two campouts a year with the parents in tow. Meetings every week and a camping trip every month is a big change. Expecting 100% attendance when they crossed over less than a week ago is a tall order. For newly crossed over Webelos, a weekend without parents is challenge in itself. Add in weather and it may be too overwhelming for the first week in a troop.

In the South, anything under 30 degrees is considered extreme. We spend the three meetings prior to a winter campout teaching cold weather camping. Many of our scouts don't even own gloves because there is little to no need in their daily life. Winter camping is a true challenge for them.

Guessing from your name you are located in NY where winter is common and people have more experience.

My thoughts.

1) have the PLs or buddies talk to the ones who missed. We had a few who did not like to camp, and they did drop. We have one who is highly allergic to peanuts and he has very protective parents. We have one whose mom said no camping in cold weather. And we got a few who can only camp when dad has custody. And we have one extremely bizarre situation where oldest brother can go only if ex-step dad is not camping, and younger half-brother can only camp when dad has custody.

2) Scheduling. I know growing up, my troop had to deal with 14 different school calendars. No joke, we had a public middle school calendar, public high school calendar, and 12 different private/parochial calendars to deal with. Scheduling was a night mare.

3) Parents. As someone already stated, parents may not be comfortable yet with troop's leaders. We have a sitation where Mom will not send the boy camping unless either his dad or I are camping.

"Doesn't like camping"? You should ask him why he joined. Would he join a swim team if he hated the water? Sheesh.

Truth:

• one boy who liked waiting at our spaghetti dinner fundraiser above all else.
  • another boy liked the fellowship and fair weather (it happens sometimes, usually in my absence) and staffing summer camp.
  • others liked our ski trips, shooting sports, and service opportunities.

It's not all about camping. That's just where the majority of our boys find their passion. It's also where they can be most independent, but not every boy is ready for that. At age 11, the concept can be intimidating. Then, at older ages it can feel like a distraction.

I think 25 out of 38 is outstanding. We have around 35 in the troop, and often have 10 to 12 on any given outing. It is a rare boy that is only in scouting. Almost all of our scouts are in sports, band, theater, etc. Most other activities are mandatory in the sense that if you miss a practice, you don't play. Almost all of our older scouts take multiple AP courses, jobs and other obligations. In our area, scouting tends to attract the high achieving kids with lots of stuff on their plates. I used to stress over it, but long ago I decided that the outings will happen, and those that attend will have a great time. I did start having the troop historian take pictures on outings and give a report at the meeting immediately after. We then have some of the boys that attended talk about what a great time they had.

I am looking for ideas to increase attendance on monthly camping trips

It’s not that we are doing bad a job compared to what else I am seeing out there but I think we can do better

An example is this weekend’s trip.

We are going to the local Scout camp in a rustic cabin (no Elec and a wood stove for heat).

With the temperatures going down to -10 deg. Friday night we still have 25 out of 38 scouts going, but only 2 of the 8 WEBELOS that crossed over a week ago are going.

As a side note - we have rented the biggest cabin at the camp and with 7 or 8 adults going the cabin will be full.

I think a couple of the adults are bringing cots to make sure there are enough places to sleep.

We do get a little higher numbers once the weather gets better and get over 90% of the Troop attending summer camp but I think we can do better for out monthly trips.

Any ideas to increase attendance?

The only concern to me about the attendance above is the low number of crossovers. having roughly 2/3 attendance isnt' bad.

One thing that may be affecting the number of new Crossovers is that they may not have the cold weather gear needed to camp. I know my son's troop gets their new Scouts from the Pack in December. Their first weekend activity is in January, and it is a lock in. We drive to a nearby climbing wall, spend time climbing, and then do other activities when we come back. Last year it was First Aid. This year it was ILST. Oh, and the requisite goofing off time.

One thing that isn't done on a formal basis, but does get talke about informally is gear.

The low turnout of the crossovers was disappointing

Usually crossovers are not invited to the Feb campout as it happens the next weekend after they cross.

Due to scheduling of the Klondike Derby and crossover this year we moved the Feb campout out so they had almost 3 weeks of being in the troop beforehand.

The PLC took this into consideration and made this a fun cabin camping trip.

Last month at the Klondike an ice storm has taken out the power at the camp but they had it fixed. As we were sleeping inside I don't think gear was the reason

It seems that with this group of crossover scouts comes last. if there is anything else scheduled they do that first

I have to say in the 2 years I have been with the Troop we have had pretty good turnout.

I think the worst turnout we had was last January for a winter tenting trip that had 17 Scouts on it.