two troops one small town

Hello I live in a very small town for 40+ years we have had one troop and one pack. In the last year he have had 2 adult parents that were associated with the troop decide they didn't like the scoutmaster and they started there own troop. There are lots of issues. They lied to there charter organization about why they wanted a new troop, they don't advertise what troop they are when they do fundraisers, and they are trying to recruits at pack meetings by telling parents negative things about the "original" troop in town. Many of the scouting supporters in town are confused how to do you handle this without sinking to there level?

Been there, done that. Welcome to the forums, cc3018. They even called parents claiming that our unit was 'shutting down' and that we were sending our boys over to their unit. Be very wary of the DE because in my case, the DE was quietly supportive of the subversion.

Best defense is a good offense. Make sure you have a strong connection with the pack. Provide den chiefs to dens who want them. Work closely with the Webelos den and plan a great campout for the Webelos. As SM I try to attend about one pack committee meeting a quarter just to keep in touch. We also have a big joint service project we do which supports one of the ministries supported by our CO.

But don't take any guff either. If the other troop is causing problems, set the record straight. Never let a falsehood stand.

• Downvote 1
Best defense is a good offense. Make sure you have a strong connection with the pack. Provide den chiefs to dens who want them. Work closely with the Webelos den and plan a great campout for the Webelos. As SM I try to attend about one pack committee meeting a quarter just to keep in touch. We also have a big joint service project we do which supports one of the ministries supported by our CO. But don't take any guff either. If the other troop is causing problems' date=' set the record straight. Never let a falsehood stand.[/quote'] Our connection with the pack is super strong, several people are involved in both. However there a some adults from the other troop involved with the pack as well! Its just a big mess. I just keep my head up high and think about the kids.

Also, stay friendly. There will be plenty of projects that you all will need to work on together. The boys might want to camp near each other on camporees, summer camp week might not work for one boy, but the other troop's week will. There are numerous ways to divide and conquer.

• Downvote 1