My son attended a scout lock-in at the local armory recently. While there, there were many great scouting activities and fun games for the kids. My issue is that they showed a movie to all kids that I believe was illegally copied since it's not out on video or DVD yet...I doubt the kids know, but I do and it's bothered me to some extent. I'm not sure if I want to pursue a course of action or let it go...My initial thought was to talk to the pack leader or whoever's in charge and let them know my feelings on the matter.

The movie in question was Big Hero 6. It's currently in theaters...

Any thoughts...??

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Technically, renting a movie from Blockbuster/Netflix/Redbox and showing it at a pack meeting, would be a violation as well. They aren't licensed for public viewings. Our library does group viewings

Thank you S915. I vote for your interpretation, but I go with Pack's approach, and Tahawk's expectation.....

My thoughts are that there is so much trouble in the world that we cannot avoid, to me it doesn't make sense to go looking for more.

It is possible that the person running the event made special arrangements to show the film. Isn't that good enough? Of course, if you want to speak to him, it's your dime, as we used to say, but if you do, my suggestion would be that instead of "letting them know your feelings on the matter," you just ask, in a non-accusatory tone, what special arrangements they were able to make to show a current theatrical release. If you don't get a good answer, then you can let them know your feelings. Just my opinion.

My thoughts are that there is so much trouble in the world that we cannot avoid' date=' to me it doesn't make sense to go looking for more..[/quote']

I'm a little surprised by your thoughts...however I'm not looking for trouble. This is Cub Scouts...I'm not sure I like the idea of the leaders approving this move. Copyright violation may not seem like much for some, but this movie is still in theaters. There is no way they received theater rights to show the movie as that would have been expensive.

I'm not the type to be confrontational about something like this...I'll just ask the pack leader and see what's up.

"It was only . . . . ."

Of course, how any human interaction takes place is important to how "well" it goes. I could have done much better about dealing with the SM who was supplying beer to his kid staff at a Klondike, but I guess I can live with his dislike I should have taken time to think through how the conversation was likely to go.

• Downvote 1

I think the way to proceed is to say to them something along the lines of, "Wow, I'm really impressed! How the heck did you manage to get a copy of that? Where do I get one?"

The response will likely lay to rest some of your questions. A response in which they indicate something deceptive will raise more questions though.

• Downvote 1

you could just ignore it, as the kids had a good time. I would not think twice about torrenting a film to show to my group, as on the grand scheme of things its not the biggest transgression in the world.

I'm sure the line is drawn in different places for different people but I seem to have come to the wrong place in regards to finding ethical advice regarding this situation. Any illegal activity that is punishable by huge $$ fines if caught aught to be a red flag for any scout leader in my book. The act of going to a torrent site, knowing it's illegal, downloading a new release movie as a bootleg copy, burning it to a blank disc, and then showing it to a group of kids while wearing badges of honor is not very honorable. And...not the type of community I want my kid to hang with...

"Good citizenship also means obeying the law..." - from Cub Scout Values

• Upvote 1
Thank you S915. I vote for your interpretation' date=' but I go with Pack's approach, and Tahawk's expectation.....[/quote']

I agree with the approach as well...No sense going in with guns a blazing! ;)

That's not the example I want to set...

• Upvote 1
you could just ignore it' date=' as the kids had a good time. I would not think twice about torrenting a film to show to my group, as on the grand scheme of things its not the biggest transgression in the world.[/quote']

A Scout is trustworthy.

The role of the adult in Scouting is to set an example of compliance with the values of Scouting.

A Scout is trustworthy.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
... as on the grand scheme of things its not the biggest transgression in the world. ...

The world's rife with transgressions. But let's ask ourselves, why wouldn't we want to find a way to compensate all of those actors for their cinematic genius? If their work product isn't worth that much, why wouldn't we have some older scouts make a home-spun video with which to entertain our cubs?

• Upvote 1

Well, you could do your civic duty and report him to the FBI. A few years in the federal penitentiary and a huge fine should make him see the error of his ways. Seriously, you know what is within your power to do. Vote with your feet. Find another unit led by people who fit your vision of "trustworthy, loyal, helpful, etc." And let the unit's chartered organization and Council know why you are leaving. They are the ones who have the liability here....and the deep pockets. My observation is that this is the "new morality"...whatever you can get away with is ok. We turn a blind eye to our kids when they rip off music from websites, or copy CDs and pass them around.

How bad does something illegal have to get before we report it? Turning a blind eye makes one an accomplice. Maybe one ought to check their own moral compass before looking at the next guy's.

Stosh

It is obviously wrong. Devils advocate here... what if they were handing out copies from a book that showed the scouts how to tie knots? More than likely that would violate a copyright.

It is amazing how much people no longer value intellectual property. It is pretty common to do a search on some subject and you find different websites that have the same text, one of the sites copied w/o referencing the original text.