Shotguns stolen - public, youth shooting program, and BSA at risk

http://www.wlos.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/guns-stolen-boy-scouts-18984.shtml#.VJVhjF4AKA

"MCDOWELL COUNTY, N.C. -- Twenty-one shotguns and rifles were stolen from a McDowell County Boy Scout camp earlier this week.

Detective James Manis with the county sheriff’s office said investigators are now in a race against time.

“All of these are concerns; being used in a crime, being traded for dope, being traded for money, being in the wrong hands, you know? Anything like that is very serious and we take it very serious," Manis said.

Perhaps nobody is taking this case as seriously as Mark Turner with Mecklenburg Boy Scouts of America, who said this is the second time their camp has been robbed.

"Earlier in the year someone came on the property tore out one of the air conditioning systems and tore all the copper...and I'm sure they're just trying to turn stuff into quick cash," Turner said.

Turner said the gun safe, where the stolen guns were located was not locked. But, in the future more preventative measures will be taken."

Some serious stupid there.

My $0.02

Somehow, 'stupid' just doesn't quite say it. But I guess being stupid doesn't violate the Scout Law, lol. It does negate the word 'safe' though. Good grief.

I just hope none of that hardware ends up killing anyone. That is the nightmare scenario.

Edit: Just wondering if they might see if they can replace any of it from Craigs List or the local flea market or gun show...no questions asked, ya know.

How do other councils handle after season storage of rifles and shotguns? At our summer camp, the guns are sent to a gunsmith in the nearest town for inspection, cleaning and repairs then stored by the County Sheriff's office until the next season. It's always a big deal when the Sheriff's office delivers the guns back to the camp during Staff Week.

CalicoPenn with the Camp firearms at a Sheriffs office, you have no shooting program off season after summer camp? At our camp they are locked up on premises (could be better IMO), and we have a significant Shooting Sports program/training all year (Rifles, Shotguns and Pistols). In fact I am planning a Rifle/Muzzle Loader Instructor class in Feb.

Summer Camp is a four to five hour drive north into the hinterlands of Wisconsin. There are no facilities for off season camping available. If Troops wish to do off season shooting, they will work with one of the hunt and shooting clubs outside the metropolitan area, usually as part of a weekend camping trip.

Our council has a designated shooting sports coordinator who cares for and stores all rifles and shotguns throughout the year. I believe we are allowed to request usage of these guns throughout the year, provided a capable rangemaster is available to oversee the event. It does seem pretty ridiculous that the story above happen once much less several times.

I don't know what kinds of rifles they had at that camp but if they are the same ones I used when I was a boy scout in that council, those were some very fine target rifles with proper slings and sighted in peep sites. We took really good care of them way back then and they should have lasted for a very long time. Many times I've wanted to get one like them.

Well I'm not worried about either the ATF or Barney Fife, lol. I do have other nice target rifles, just not one of those old sentimental favorites. Guess I could check out the next gun snow though. Or like I said, Craigslist and the flea markets. There's no telling how much stolen stuff passes through all of those things.