The Point at which you hand in your PatchH

In a recent topic, handing in your Patch (SM in this case) over a dispute with the parents. It got me thinking, do you have a Point where enough is enough?

I currently do not have a point. But I haven't been SMing very long.

What is your Point? And why? When does the hassle of (fill in the blank) out weigh the joy/responsibility of mentoring young men?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You should quit when you are no longer having fun

No one ever said being a scout leader was going to be easy. It's not for everyone. As we all know everyone is out recruiting parents to fill every little job in the troop/pack/crew. If it's warm a

Kind of funny, but I knew it was time when I dreaded answering the phone. As you all know, I love talking about scouting, so it was time for a break. Barry

What is your Point? And why? When does the hassle of (fill in the blank) out weigh the joy/responsibility of mentoring young men?

I have a habit of collecting patches, literally and figuratively. Is that good or bad? Maybe a little of both.

There have definitely been times when I thought about stepping down as Scoutmaster (currently starting my fourth year) due to any number of things. But I always come back to the realization that I'm not there for me. I have a patrol of then young men who need me. Should I do it forever? No, I'll find someone else to step up by the end of next year. Personally, I don't think being Scoutmaster should be a life-long job.

I've already accepted other district-level jobs and I know my experience as Scoutmaster has/will help in those roles.

But to answer your question, it's only natural to question things from time to time. If you aren't ranting a little you need to start! ;) Letting off the steam helps. I'm thinking four years is enough for me as Scoutmaster and now it's my job to find a replacement. That's my opinion.

For a single incidence to cause me give back the patch it would have to be WAAAY out there. Trust me, if so I wouldn't have made it through the second year when a dad called me an SOB because I apparently "didn't know who he was."

I think it is more of a balance point that a single event. When the bad stuff starts to outweigh the good stuff or when your attitude or lack of enthusiasm starts to negatively impact the program, its time to go.

I saw a parent stand face to face and shout at a SM for 5 min... I also have seen a DE do it to a Camp Staff ~18 y.o. . I would have calmly taken my SM patch off and put it on the table.... and walked. I would not stand and be yelled at at my PAYING job and I would hope that the staffer would have been fortunate enough to do it as well.

Well, it does get tiresome fighting off the group (small but vocal) that wants a "Webelos 3" Troop. Happily, I've recently had some of my worst parents get tired of not being allowed to wash their kid's dishes on campouts and transfer their Scout elsewhere.

I would guesstimate I get 10 "you're an SOB's" for every "good job." I've told the Committee that I'm happy to step down any time they want me to, but as above I'm having a good time and as long as that's the case, I'm around for a while.

Maybe a better question is : How long should a Smaster remain a Smaster? In my adult Scout career, I have known some who have been for 20 some years... Remembering back, I was a Scout for 7-8 years, and I can list 5 Scoutmasters . At least I thought they were Scoutmasters. Maybe they were Assistants? They sure acted like SMasters. I have no idea why one stepped down and another stepped up. Didn't matter to me, I guess, I only knew we went hiking and camping and bowling, etc. Loved all that etc. too!

Still enjoy the outdoors. Check.

Still enjoy working with scouts. Check.

Still excited about making a better program or improving my skills. Check.

Still rarely come home from a campout feeling fried (only once). Check. Meetings are another story.

Still can't get anyone to say yes to "do you want to be the SM." Check, I guess. I have tried.

Still get my way at committee meetings and still have a lot of support from the majority of the adults. Check.

Still get a few adults that are horse butts so I have a ready supply of topics at the bar. Check.

But the most important:

Still get several scouts a year to say thank you. Priceless.

I think a lot of people could do a better job than me, but I like it, so I do it. Everyone should do what they can, and scouts is my thing.

I think mattman said it best, "when it stops being fun", and IMO when you feel your contribution is no longer being appreciated by first the boys and secondly the parents. When you do decide to leave never look back.

Lots of good answers.

A few more:

When family obligations start taking a back seat to your Scouting addiction, it may be time to hand it in.

When it's time to move along to another stage,i.e going from CS to BS, or as one SM is doing, BS to Venturing, it may be time to hand it in.

Yep I quit one position b/c I was tired of the garbage I had to deal with.

Another time it was because I didn't get the support I needed when a bad situation arose.

But most time, I had to turn it in due to moves with work.

Right now I'm debating turning in my CSDL badge. We got a strong pack and I know we can find a DL to replace me as I had to go back to Tigers twice before for my younger sons. As much as I want to stay with my youngest, he actually behaves better when I am not around. Yep he's the troublemaker in my den. ;)

But my oldest son's troop needs some help. The SM is getting on in years and has health issues. My wife was talking to his wife, and his wife mentioned he needs to step down. The heir apparent is back in Cubs Scouts, and may be there a while. Plus his schedule is absolutely crazy. He's on call a lot, and has missed meetings and trips because of being on call. To bad the citizens of my town won't behave.

My SM started in retirement and kept going till the Parkinson's got the upper hand. This had certain advantages. If you needed a conference, you could just walk over to his front porch after school. (My house was a mile away, but it was a splendid hike.) Plus he could tell you history like it was first person. (Still remember him talking about his family worrying about polio.) It had disadvantages. He was no spring chicken. So our backpacking was in countryside, not wilderness. Point is, he stuck with it thanks to constant support from the CO (his home church, which he would attend when the church he played organ for didn't need him). We boys didn't know the difference until some of us went to ?Jambo, etc ... and the contingent was led by a young SM. I don't know when I'll turn in the Advisor's patch. I've got decent support from the CO, but I keep thinking that my youth might benefit from someone young stepping into the gap. Still looking for that replacement.