Troop Night at Round Table

We've got a recruiting opportunity coming up and I need your ideas. At District Round Table in December, the Troops are invited to set up a display to woo visiting Webelos. Each Troop will be given a 5' diameter table and the Webelos/Parents will wander around to each.

Based on previous experience, there will be anywhere between 50-100 Webelos there.

Most Troops make a display board with pictures of their previous year, have their Scouts there to talk to the Webs and Scouters to talk with the Parents. I'm looking for something hands-on to engage the Webs. Yes, I've asked this same question to my Scouts and they're thinking on it.

What ideas do you have? My criteria: hands-on, inexpensive(?), small area needed.

One troop brought in some twine, and had the Webelos make a rope. They let them take a piece of the rope with them.

Last year, one of my scouts had a hot glue gun, and was making neckerchief slides for them. My idea this year, was to have some cookies with the troop # on them. I like the idea of giving them something with our troop # on it; even if they would eat them up. Unfortunately, we did not have the time to make them (maybe next year).

If they haven't already done this at CSDC, cut some 5' lengths of 3/8" sash cord (whip or melt the ends) paint one half a dark color for contrast, and practice some knots. Bowline, anyway. Give them the "Bicolored, double ended rope" to take home (never buy a single ended rope, it is inherently defective and will give you nothing but trouble. ALWAYS buy a double ended rope!).

And I like the bugle idea!

• 2 weeks later...

Update - last night was the Round Table "meet the Troops" night. My Scouts decided on LED lights as something to engage the Webelos. It met my criteria (hands-on, inexpensive & small area needed). They talked with the Webs while instructing them on how to make on. The Webs ended up with something they could take home with our Troop website on it.

I talked with the adults. Part of the explanation was while we don't usually learn electricity in our meetings, the process was very typical of what happens. Older Scout instructs younger Scout with younger Scout actually doing (not just listening).

It was well received.

LED lights = 1 CR2032 watch battery, 1 LED, 1 rare earth magnet, 1 label (used address labels with our Troop website printed on it). Total cost ~$25. I already had the LEDs. I just bought the batteries and magnets for $16.