Small Pack meeting ideas

I am a new Cub Master, with a small pack. We really only have 2 dens. The Bears/Wolves and the Webelos. The bears and the wolves meet together all the time, and at most we have about 10 (usually 6). There are only 3 Webelos. I struggle with ideas for Pack meeting. Because we are such a small group, it's hard to put together activities that are any different from their regular weekly activities. We can't really do den competitions, there aren't any den divisions, so we can't really do den awards. We don't get a lot of parent participation, so it's the same 3 leaders trying to do everything all the time. I'm wondering if anyone out there might have some ideas for activities so that our pack meeting has more substance than just handing out awards. (Since I'm new to this, I haven't even figured out the best way to do awards....there's got to be something better than me just being at the front of the room reading off names and awards...)

Thanks for your help.

Welcome to the forum!

I would poll the parents to see if they have any skills or interests the boys might be interested in. While a magician works well for BlueGolds, there are a lot of other 30 minute presos that might be of interest to the boys. Most boys don't know what a Dutch Oven is, but if someone came in a did a cobbler for the boys, I'm sure it would be a good time for all.

I came in and did a Civil War demo that was supposed to be 30-45 minutes. I kept trying to wrap it up after 45, but everyone kept asking questions (mostly the boys) and finally after 1 1/2 hours the CM finally rescued me. :)

I did one for the older boys on BSA books from the turn of the century. (Pee Wee Harris, Roy Blakeley, Tom Slade, Westy Martin, etc.) After 100 years remnants of those early scouting experiences are still popping up in Boy's Life.

D.A.R.E officer with drug dog?

Any dad Eagle scouts? What did he do when he was their age 30 years ago?

Ambulance/First Responder crew shows off the ambulance? Contact your local hospital if they have a Life-Flight helicopter. That landing in the parking lot would be a pack meeting to remember. I've seen it done, it's impressive even for the adults. :)

Forest ranger in the area?

Master Gardener?

Local Historian?

Remember, some things the boys go to - airport, post office, etc. but some things can come to them. Those are the things you want to focus on and start with your parents and who they are and who do they know.

Stosh

I had a similar sized Pack. We almost never did Pack meetings in a room (ours were on Sunday afternoons). Go for a hike, go fishing, find a local stable to let you do horseback riding, visit a fire department or police station, go to a climbing gym, go to the YMCA, go for a bike ride, go to a park with a playground and have a picnic, find a PowWow to attend. Go play. Your small size is your advantage! As for awards, 5 minutes max at the beginning of the meeting, "The bear/wolves completed the following achievements, please come forward to receive your bling." About the only indoor pack meetings are Pinewood Derby and B&G (typically Jan/Feb).