Webelos and the 2015 program changes

I heard a "rumor" that Webelos "Arrow Of Light" dens are supposed to hold their meetings with a Boy Scout troop. Does anyone know more about this? Or if it is just a rumor or just wrong.

Any comments on how Webelos are supposed to do the transition WITH THE NEW 2015 CHANGES to Boy Scouts would be appreciated.

Okay ... post #6 ...

Some Councils/Districts are piloting a Webelos Transition schedule which will put cross-over to November/December of the 5th grade year' date=' with the expectation that Webelos meet during Troop Meetings during the summer/fall of the 4th/5th grade year. Boys joining new as 5th graders go straight to the troop, skipping Cubs entirely.[/quote']

Maybe that is where I heard it. There are rumors around and it's hard to keep straight what is what.

It is untrue that Dens are supposed to hold their meetings with a Boy Scout troop. Most recent version of the new Cub Scout requirements are at http://www.scouting.org/filestore/program_update/pdf/Appended%20Requirements.pdf

See pages 27, 32 and 33. Webelos will still need to attend only one Troop meeting (requirement 2) and one Troop camp out or outdoor activity (requirement 4)

Finally, for my 2 cents, I'm going with the warnings that have been put out several times. This is all a work in progress. Don't believe anything until you see the new handbooks.

Thank's meschen ... I appreciate the info. It is hard to know what info is coming from where. Until we get an updated Webelos den leader guide it will be confusing. Or should I say "Arrow Of Light" den.

On a side note "Arrow Of Light" den is a horrible name. Who the heck came up with that ...

People could imagine Webelos was parrallel with Tiger, Wolf, Bear, etc. But "Arrow of light" sounds like the scouts are studying crystals and alternative medicine.

It might be used for a long time, but most parents are not long term scouters. Most are new to scouting.

It was just a side comment. Don't get hung up on it.

Parallel construction is an accepted concept. Tiger, Wolf, Bear, Lion are animals. Webelos was always a "What is that" to new parents. Confusing enough, but people think "whatever". But "Arrow Of Light" is different. It's like new-age terminology.

Anyway ... it's just a side comment. Don't get hung up on it.

Fred' date=' the term "Arrow of Light" has been in use in Cub Scouting for so long (as the name of the highest rank), I think people will know it doesn't refer to crystals and alternative medicine. :)[/quote']

I have mostly heard them referred to as Web 1 and Web 2 although I understand what AOL is I have never heard people refer to the Web 2 as the "AOL Den" working on their AOL sure.

My boys earned AOL as Web I. Just depends on your program. There was a really big time span between AOL and cross-over. They got AOL and left when they turned 10 1/2 or whenever they and their parents decided. Never really treated them as Web I and II. They were just Webelos Scouts.

Stosh

Fred, I wasn't "hung up" on anything, as indicated by the smiley face at the end of my post. I actually agree with you that "Arrow of Light den" (if that is part of the new terminology) will probably be confusing to new parents at first.

This seems like yet another chapter in the decades-long struggle by the BSA to reduce attrition during the transition from Cubs/Webelos to Boy Scouts, without actually making Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts part of the same unit. When my son was around that age they came up with a new Webelos hat where most of the hat was the same color as the standard Boy Scout baseball cap. As if the color of a hat would make a difference.