Looking for help on a Wood Badge Ticket Goal

~~Hello,

I just completed week 2 of Wood Badge and am in the process of starting my Ticket. I am looking for help on one of my goals. I am looking to create a Troop Resource cook book, to help my Troop, District Roundtable and anyone else who would like to enjoy a copy of this. I am looking to create this resource focusing on Cooking.

Topics including :

Dutch oven

Tinfoil Cook

One Pot meals

Dessert options

Backpacking Meals

Cracker-barrel

Camp Fire cooking

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated it the form of submitting recipes or sharing any resources you know of to help me accomplish this task.

Thank You in advance!

Matthew Sullivan

Assistant Scoutmaster

Mohegan Council

Fox Patrol

Instead of putting together a resource for the troop, why not involve the scouts in its creation? Ask them if they would like it, and then let them loose coming up with recipes they already use, researching others. Testing them on campouts, etc...

Check out old articles of Boy's Life and Scouting Magazine. (They have online versions.) Definitely float what you got by your boys. If you get mostly "thumbs up" on a recipe, incorporated it.

Have fun working your ticket.

My first question... does the world need another cook book that is a collection of existing recipes?

If you want to make something about cooking I would make it more of a how and why. So for dutch oven I would discuss temp control and how to modify an no dutch over recipe, ingredient adaption etc. Tinfoil you want to have ingredients that will cook in about the same time some of this can be controlled with the size of the pieces etc. Backpaking freeze dry vs dehydrated, weight vs nutrition, the different type of stove, the benefit of no cook meals. discuss what can be prepped a heard of time vs at the site.

I would probably start out with how to decide what type of cooking they should go with. Open fire vs no open fire, weight of equipment. For example you are not going to take a dutch oven on a backpacking trip in a location with a fire ban. I could envision this a decision tree. Meal decisions would also vary if you are planning for the patrol vs the troop.

Pie irons could be another cooking method you could add to you list. (or that might be part of campfire)

If you go with compiling recipes I don't believe that you can copy the description that can be copywritten. But the ingredients and process are not normally able to be copy written. Although I would problem give credit to the originator of the recipe. I would also hope that you actually test out the recipes. To be honest if it is just compiling recipes you are probably going to spend a lot of time editting them to make them read consistently from one recipe to the next.

I'm kinda with Sidney on this one.

Dutch Ovens: When the the recipe calls for a 350-degree oven, how many coals is that? What about 375-degrees? Pizza calls for 425-degrees... What about wood? How does one adjust for wood? Okay we've done quiches and cobblers until they come out of our ears, what about something new? How do I take a home recipe for a 9X13 cake pan and adapt it for the Dutch Oven? What about baking rolls for the stew instead of store-bought? Can you do a cake in the DO? I have a crock-pot recipe, can I do that in a DO? I want to do a cheese cake for the DO competition, is that possible? When we packed the DO's in the oven last fall, they were just fine, but OMG they really stink, now what?

Are aluminum DO's worth the extra cost? What size should we buy. Go with Lodge or an off brand? Why are some DO's deeper than others? Does any know if it's the short one or the tall one that is the baker Dutch Oven..... ??????

Okay, that's just Dutch ovens.. :)

When was the last time anyone had homemade fresh blueberry muffins in the morning?

Stosh

There are a lot of good cook books out there. Tim and Christine Conner's "Scout" series - the Outdoor, Backpacking and Dutch Oven books are great. Another good book is "Fix it in Foil". Lodge has a great cast iron cookbook in addition to the one that comes with their Dutch oven. Also, Check out the Freezer Bag Cooking cookbook and the recipies at trailcooking.com. All that brings up the question that Sydney and Stosh asked - why do we need another cook book? Wouldn't a reference book on methods or a step by step course be better? Oh, and the last time I had fresh baked blueberry muffins was on a backpacking trip in June using a backpacking stove - although they were from a mix, they tased real good with my coffee.

After I thought about it for a while, I would suggest, in all seriousness, find the OLDEST Handbook for Boy's , or Boy Scout Handbook or Scout Fieldbook (check with old timers, ebay, etc.) you can find and try out (don't ever recommend a recipe without trying it yourself!) some of their recipes. The differences between 2014 sensitivities and 1948 considerations are interesting....

I second (or third) the idea of more information on how to change recipes to fit for campout cooking. When I have taught Cooking MB, I have challenged the boys to make the same dish in a dutch oven, over a fire, over a stove, over a backpacking stove. That helped teach them the difference between the different methods.

A good primer on how to convert Grandma or Grandpa's recipes to the dutch oven would be awesome.

I second (or third) the idea of more information on how to change recipes to fit for campout cooking. When I have taught Cooking MB, I have challenged the boys to make the same dish in a dutch oven, over a fire, over a stove, over a backpacking stove. That helped teach them the difference between the different methods.

A good primer on how to convert Grandma or Grandpa's recipes to the dutch oven would be awesome.

Do it all the time.... :) It's a lot simpler than one thinks. Would it surprise anyone that with all the years of doing Dutch Oven/Cast Iron cooking, I have NEVER done a cobbler! :(

My ASM had to help bail me out with teaching the boys because the summer camp menu had cobbler on it and she thought maybe she knew how to do it, so that was more than I knew, so she got the job. :)

Now chocolate chip cookie cheese cake, I can do.... but not cobbler.

Stosh

the one thing with cook books that I would find useful is a cook book that went through different food allergies/tolerances and broke down with recipes for those...

gluten free, diabetic, lactose, nut, etc...

for most of those we tend to rely on the scout or the parent to give suggestions or we can get a cook at home book and adjust for camping but would be much easier to have it broken down for each.

There are a bunch of camping cook books and dutch oven as well and can find tons online. But I haven't seen many for special diets