Eagle Project fights Malaria in Nigeria

""Many Eagle Scout projects involve landscaping or minor building projects in the Scout’s community. While these projects are worthy in their own right, Ian Napoleon of Sandy Spring knew he wanted to do something for his project that would make a global impact.

Ian, 16, is a student at Landon School, a private school in Bethesda. He advanced to the rank of Eagle Scout on June 13, after traveling to Nigeria in March to complete his service project.""

http://www.gazette.net/article/20140701/NEWS/140709991&template=gazette

Projects like these ... don't benefit "your" community.
Nor do they have to ... "While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, any school, or your community." I think you may have substituted "or" for "and" in your mind. Not every project has to be community based - in the geographic sense. Many religious groups, certainly the Baptists, feel their institution is buoyed by their parishioners serving the needs of the poor in the farthest reaches of the world.
I think you may have substituted "or" for "and" in your mind. .

Nope. In this specific case, the boy's project was with a NGO. So it didn't benefit any religious institution, or any school, nor did it benefit his community.

I read into it a little, presuming the boy's church was the CO (and would have an interest in its parishioners performing service like this be it via an NGO or otherwise).

We don't have all of the details of the story to "connect the dots". It could be the boy's "inside the beltway" connections led him to think "community" on a global scale. In which case, we'd both agree that could be stretching the definition a little (although clearly his district advancement chair didn't think so).

In general, I think it isn't a very thrifty way to deliver mosquito nets. Some of our Eagles have run drives for supplying 3rd would countries, but have done so through a relief and development organization whose warehouses are an integral part of our community.

I read into it a little, presuming the boy's church was the CO (and would have an interest in its parishioners performing service like this be it via an NGO or otherwise).

We don't have all of the details of the story to "connect the dots". It could be the boy's "inside the beltway" connections led him to think "community" on a global scale. In which case, we'd both agree that could be stretching the definition a little (although clearly his district advancement chair didn't think so).

In general, I think it isn't a very thrifty way to deliver mosquito nets. Some of our Eagles have run drives for supplying 3rd would countries, but have done so through a relief and development organization whose warehouses are an integral part of our community.

Yeah, exactly. I also wonder how much "leadership" is involved in getting on a plane and dropping off 50 nets and candy.

I'm not denigrating this project in particular or this Eagle in particular, I just think that while international projects in general are a neat way to do good, and are good PR, they miss the mark for an Eagle project.

A flight from my city on the East coast to Lagos, Nigeria in September is $1,500

... I'm not denigrating this project in particular or this Eagle in particular' date=' I just think that while international projects in general are a neat way to do good, and are good PR, they miss the mark for an Eagle project. ...[/quote']

Things I look for in these "out of the box" projects ...

Connections with some local groups (e.g., presenting the project to churches, schools, clubs, etc ...).

Mobilizing other youth to help with collection.

Making connections with scouts internationally.

A change in itinerary for the purpose of the project. (E.g., they boy would be traveling anyway, but instead of simply touring, he coordinates service.)

Nope. In this specific case, the boy's project was with a NGO. So it didn't benefit any religious institution, or any school, nor did it benefit his community.

I think your definition of community is a bit too narrow.

Merriam-Webster defines community as follows:

: a group of people who live in the same area (such as a city, town, or neighborhood)

: a group of people who have the same interests, religion, race, etc.

: a group of nations

One of the Eagles in my unit did a project with Operation Gratitude. He had to coordinate getting the materials, people to do the sewing, assembly of the scarves and shipment to the sponsor. A good project done in benefit of the troops deployed in OEF/OIF. The "community" in this case was the community of veterans who include his father and active duty military which included his brother at the time.

My son's project was with the Autism Society of Illinois. He did fundraising to acquire tablet computers and adaptive communication software. He managed a build day to configure and install the software. Once delivered to ASI the tables were given to the families of non-verbal autistic kids. The community connection in this instance is that my son is also autistic.

Frankly, we need more projects like this and fewer landscaping/bench building projects. Making a lasting impact on lives is much more Eagle worthy than making a new scar on the land IMNSHO.

Like I said, I'm not interested in insulting anyone's projects in particular or Eagle projects in general. Just expressing my opinion. If you need to insult everyone else's projects to feel good about your son's go right ahead.

Duckfoot, maybe what we need is more Eagles to spend $3000 to deliver their park benches to third world locales. :D

Unless one wishes just to focus on the intent of the project.

Okay, it's a leadership project? Who got led? Did he do the fundraising on his own? Nope, he was sponsored. He made the trip solo? Nope, his dad went along. Where's the leadership? The idea is good, but it shows initiative on his part which is fine, but the project was supposed to demonstrate his leadership ability. He led no one. So when the dust has settled, what leadership was demonstrated? None.

To me it was a project promoted by his CO and it pretty much circumvented the whole intent of an Eagle Project.

Stosh