You Might Have Been a Scout......

21 applies only if you are gay.
Maybe it was terror? But, having already lashed spars onto 30' poles, dashed UPHILL to my tent in a thunderstorm, hopped electric fences in the rain, etc ... I hardly noticed it.

Remembering back a couple of years is no big deal.

I remember when being in one's room at home provided no phone coverage because the phone hung on the wall in the kitchen. My buddies never needed to call me on the phone anyway, they could talk to me over the campfire.

After 4 years in scouting I knew no one that earned Eagle and 2 that got called out for OA. Never got to first class. Earned one MB, summer camp wasn't a MB mill. It was a poorly run troop, but rank advancement was no big push as it is today. I do remember camping with my buddies more often on non-scouting outings than scout outings and they never were in anyone's backyard. Never knew what a Dutch oven was as a kid. Even if we did, we wouldn't have dragged that heavy stuff into the woods. Never sold popcorn.

I even remember riding to a campout in the back of the pickup truck with my patrol buddies and all our gear.

I remember having been part of an adventure, not a planned program. A lot of stuff we did back then that is in today's world illegal. Dang, those were the good-old-days!

Stosh

• Upvote 1

Phone coverage? When I was a scout the only phones were land lines. There was a phone bolted to the wall in the kitchen. The one and only phone in the home. CB radios in the adult cars to keep the convoy headed in the right direction to and fro campouts. Once you pulled out the Church parking lot, no communication until we returned Sunday.

Troop rule forbade use of stoves. All cooking was over open fires.

Phone coverage? When I was a scout the only phones were land lines. There was a phone bolted to the wall in the kitchen. The one and only phone in the home. CB radios in the adult cars to keep the convoy headed in the right direction to and fro campouts. Once you pulled out the Church parking lot, no communication until we returned Sunday.

Troop rule forbade use of stoves. All cooking was over open fires.

At least as late as 1981, BSA strongly discouraged use of chemical stoves.

Shoot, I had so much fun that when I turned 18 I turned Explorer just so I could run around in the woods like an Indian for three more years

But never sold popcorn

Badges were nice but not a big deal

A lot of campouts we didn't do one "scoutish" thing.

Learned a little, made some very good friends, wish I could do it again