Quick question...

One of the requirements for the Scouter's Training Award (for Boy Scouts) indicates that you must do the following:

"Attend a university of Scouting (or equivalent), or attend at least four roundtables (or equivalent) during each year of the tenure used for this award."

Anyone have any idea what would be considered "equivalent" for each of these?

For example, would say Wood Badge be equivalent to a university of Scouting?

Thanks.

Nope. It does not say "Go to Wood Badge" as a requirement. U of Scouting or four Roundtables. So, you cannot use it. Remember, you cannot add, delete, change or subsitute requirements within the BSA. Lead by example.

Nope. It does not say "Go to Wood Badge" as a requirement. U of Scouting or four Roundtables. So' date=' you cannot use it. Remember, you cannot add, delete, change or subsitute requirements within the BSA. Lead by example.[/quote']

"Attend a university of Scouting (or equivalent), or attend at least four roundtables (or equivalent) during each year of the tenure used for this award."

So what would be an equivalent for either of those in your estimation? I was thinking WB would be a rather good substitute for some of the requirements. The original post was focusing on what constituted an equivalent and according to the verbiage, it is not adding, deleting or substituting anything.

Stosh

Well, now we get into the "attend" versus "earn" conundrum. Did he earn a degree? or the Beads? or did he just "attend"? If you "attend" and don't fall asleep, I guess you have to learn/absorb something.

Hey, I know folks that attend my R/Ts just to get outta the house! But I make'm worth it!

For this, I would count 6-8 hours of any skill-specific district level training, including camp seminars for adults (other than the garden variety, take-a-nap MB). If you've updated your first-aid/CPR with a few other scouters, or maybe took a course in range safety or orienteering, stuff that would be a huge benefit to your unit. You can look up most U of S course offerings online to get an idea of the kinds of things we're talking about.

Woodbadge is on a somewhat different dimension. I can see a lot of WB-ers (such as myself) not counting it for the award. On the other hand, I couldn't argue with someone who did count. If those two weekends were all they had to spare one year, and attending WB left no margin for UoS, I'd definitely count it.

I believe the wood badge hours would be equivalent. The purpose of the Roundtable and UofS requirement is for networking and gaining knowledge from your peers. I am assuming BSA national wants people to learn from others and not be isolated in their own pack, troop, crew.

• Upvote 1

Training is basic, advanced, and "other." U of Scouting, Powderhorn, and Baden Powell Institute are examples of "other." Wood Badge is "advanced."

If it were up to me, Wood Badge would more than suffice.

Sure, Wood Badge would count. But the meaning of the requirement also, is for something like a yearly program kickoff meeting that my council does (that meeting is done either instead of, or in addition to a roundtable).

I've been to Woodbadge, presented at UofS, and am on the Round table staff. Woodbadge is a totally different animal in my opinion from the others. The other too are much more practical for the units on short term goals and activities. Wood Badge tends to have a longer lifetime and effect but usually not as immediate of an impact.

It seems pretty specific to me and heck, round tables are fun.

• 2 weeks later...