Four members of Boy Scout Troop 438 of Coshocton,OH earned the Eagle rank.

"After the ceremony, Brendan Dickson, Drew Everhart, Michael Foster and Corey Johnson folded the troop flag one last time and retired it along with the troop to a representative of the Muskingum Valley Boy Scout Council."

http://www.coshoctontribune.com/article/20140504/NEWS01/305040014/Scouts-earn-top-rank-troop-dissolves

Scout salute and farewell to Troop 438

• Upvote 1

Ours is about 2 years out from a similar outcome. Two decent troops have started up in the neighborhood, so the total number of scouts hasn't changed. But our boys just keep looking uglier to those Webelos and quirkier to their peers!

So the Youth troop leadership sat on their hands and didn't help the cub pack, either. Resulting in the troop folding. Sounds like these 4 Eagles got what they needed/wanted out of program and walked away. That's not a legacy I would want to put on my resume.

Stosh

• Upvote 1
So the Youth troop leadership sat on their hands and didn't help the cub pack, either. Resulting in the troop folding. Sounds like these 4 Eagles got what they needed/wanted out of program and walked away. That's not a legacy I would want to put on my resume.

Stosh

I agree. If you see the Pack floundering, you need to help them out.

I agree. If you see the Pack floundering' date=' you need to help them out.[/quote']

Three troops, one pack in the same small town (assuming beascout.org is current). You do the math.

• Upvote 1

You all are assuming they didn't try to help the pack out. I wonder if they tried to help, maybe even dual registered but watched sadly as the parents of the actual cub scouts sat on their hands. Burning out as they tried to run both units. There's not enough information in the story to judge the reality of their situation or the character of the young men profiled.

• Upvote 1
You all are assuming they didn't try to help the pack out. I wonder if they tried to help' date=' maybe even dual registered but watched sadly as the parents of the actual cub scouts sat on their hands. Burning out as they tried to run both units. There's not enough information in the story to judge the reality of their situation or the character of the young men profiled.[/quote']

Nope, can't jump to conclusions either way. Just my take on a partial information thread.

Would be nice to have the whole story.

Hmmmm, a pack with 4 Life Scout DC's. Sounds intriguing.

Stosh

I agree not enough information on who is to blame for it folding.

I know of one troop, one of the oldest in my council in fact, that folded not because the adults and youth didn't try and keep it growing, but rather because the CO didn't want the troop any longer. The CO didn't do their part in keeping the pack up and running, so it eventually died. And that eliminated the #1 source of new Scouts for the troop. I personally think it was a testament to the adults, particualary the SM, and the Scouts in the troop to keep it it going 12 years after the pack died.

I know from the cub level it is frustrating. We have asked for help from local troops at events and Den Chiefs. We get the same message we'll ask the boys but then we never hear anything back. It makes me feel sometimes like not asking for any help.

The area of town my new troop is in is boxed in by steep hills on the east side, suburb to the north, major portion of the town on the south and river on the west. Seriously boxed in. 3 troops to the north, 4 to the south, 2-3 packs in the immediate area and the only scout troop in the area folded. It was one of the powerhouse troops in the council. The Troop folded because the church that Chartered it dropped their school. No place to meet. No one made an effort to save it. It died for 2 years. I came forward, found another CO TWO BLOCKS away from the original troop and got it going again.

It's been a slow restart, but we're up to 6 boys now and had the original troop showed a bit of gumption, a lot of hassle could have been avoided. Because we are marketing ourselves as boy-led, patrol-method, different than the others, we are attracting boys who have parents that drive right by 3-4 troops to get to ours. (They live about 1/2 mile from my house and I drive 7 miles to get to the meetings. I live on the far south-side of town.

So, you're up against some stiff competition from two other troops in a small town? Don't need to do the math, need to do something different. Run a good troop different than theirs and the boys will come. I may be in a box geographically, but thinking outside the box is where the target group of boys reside. :)

I have received multiple commitments from different packs, none of which are a "feeder" pack to us, to send their Webelos II over as soon as they can. Maybe one of the Packs will become a feeder pack to us, but the other troops are filling them up with DC's because my boys are all just first year scouts. And yet, the Packs are seriously watching our progress.

There used to be 4 troops to the north of us, but one didn't recharter this spring and folded into one of the other three up there. Probably couldn't compete. Ironically, I had offered to SM that troop instead of starting a new one and they turned me down. I guess I dodged a bullet there.

I guess it just boils down as to how bad one wants to keep things going.

Stosh

• Upvote 1

So your saying all three troops are to blame?

Not disagreeing

This is the reason I am scoutmaster and webelos den leader again.

The previous webelos den leader treated them like tiger cubs and lost 16 boys in 2 years. trying to kill our troop in the process.