Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were self chartered... When the ones with their names on it lost interest, it was a total headache to fix. Didn't keep up legal filings, you lose incorporated status. That doesn't make you not exist, you're now an unincorporated partnership with 100% liability for everything. Get a real CO, it's a huge benefit and gives you a third party to fix parent squabbles.

Comment

Originally posted by bobinbako View Post
      Our current problem is the person listed on the charter paperwork as the Executive Officer/COR recently made a claim that he and he alone owns the troop and we can't remove him until he decides to leave.
      And he would be correct. As far as the BSA is concerned, he is the owner of the pack. This is one of the reasons why self-chartered organizations are frowned upon.

Originally posted by bobinbako View Post
      Many parents are ready to leave over this.
      You need to discuss the situation with your DE. Look into creating a new unit and then have all the parents fill out transfer apps. The whole thing will be a royal pain, with lots and lots of paperwork to create a new unit and transfer everybody, but it can be done. You might even be able to keep your same unit number ... maybe ....

Good Luck!

Comment

[QUOTE=Curious;n409436]And he would be correct. As far as the BSA is concerned, he is the owner of the pack. This is one of the reasons why self-chartered organizations are frowned upon.

Actually there are differing opinions on this. I spoke to our former Council Executive and current DE and both say he cannot make unilateral decisions, that the "Parents" have a say.

Things have been moving faster than I expected and with the help of all of the advice and information from this forum, and advice and information from other sources, we already have a line on an exiting civic organization that is interested in chartering a troop. We are going to meet within a couple weeks and decide if we want to form our own non-profit or go with an existing organization. I'm pushing for the latter and some others are already on board. Even the COR that started this whole "crisis" is on board for moving to an existing org.

Thank you for all the help and I'll keep you updated as we move forward and let everyone know how it works out.

Comment

Working...
        X