when is the best time to switch packs

My son is in our local cub scout pack, he was a bear this year and would like to continue but the den leader we have doesn't really do anything with the boys, and doesn't seem interested at all. It is a very negative enviroment and my son is not having fun. There are two other packs near us that seem active and we would like to switch to one of those for next year. I know Sept. is usual enrollment time, do I just wait til then? It is May now, do other packs continue to do things through the summer? Thanks

Contact the other Packs and find out what their summer schedule is. They should have at least three events in the summer. June 1 your son will be a Webelos so if you are going to switch do it sooner rather than later. If your son is not having fun I see no reason to wait another day to switch. Some Packs do continue have den meetings, but many school based ones do not.

An alternative is volunteering to help the den leader and make it a more positive experience. Other than that, maybe visit other packs in the summer and decide for September.

Beware, there are gung-ho ("get all 20") Webelos dens/patrols that won't cover certain activity badges they have deemed to be covered in summer/day camp.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We really don't have a full background on this situation so I'm not going to jump to any conclusions.

The offer to be the DL might be a good idea, but Webelos is a transitional time for the boys and takes a bit more than just being an artsy-crafty kinda person. A bit of the outdoors person goes a long way with Webelos.

Not knowing your personal situation, i.e. single mom, couch potato dad, etc. :) it just may be too much to step up to the plate. Is there another parent that can co-DL with you? Maybe doing the inside stuff and having a co-DL do the outside stuff or vice-versa?

As a last resort, one can always check out the other Packs in the area. They all run things differently and if you find out they are all as bad as the one you're at, it might be worth it to stick with the pack where at least he knows the boys. Then HELP the DL become a better DL. Offer to do what you can to make it nice for the boys. The current DL might be in over his/her head as well.

Stosh

I agree with the co-DL concept.I stumbled upon a good situation on my 2nd try with Webelos. We had 2 co-leaders, a mom and a dad. I did the outdoorsy stuff, gear, and Boy Scout stuff. She did the crafty, lecture stuff. Both approaches seemed to appeal to the boys. It helped me in that she was better organized as well.

If you find a Pack you like that's active in the summer, change whenever is convenient. I don't know many Packs that meet regularly in the summer, so around here, I would recommend switching in September. Have you (or your husband) thought of stepping up to be Webelos Den Leader? (that is do you have interest and skills). That said, maybe this guy will be a better WDL.

My Webelos den met every Monday year-around. Summer is the best time of the year to go camping with the Webelos boys, why would anyone consider dropping the program for the summer?

Stosh

My Webelos den met every Monday year-around. Summer is the best time of the year to go camping with the Webelos boys, why would anyone consider dropping the program for the summer?

Stosh

Well, having been a Scouter in a Pack that didn't meet in a summer, and now in a Troop that does meet all summer, I agree with you.

In Florida I would disagree that summer is the best time to camp...... but that's just me.

Our pack traditionally does nothing in the summer. It seems that it's time for the leaders who are burned out to step away form it for a while..... and the parents and boys get into family trips, sports, etc....

If we had more volunteer energy, I would certainly be pushing for something in the summer. I think 1 good pack gathering, maybe a potluck picnic with games..... or perhaps a camping trip or a push for the group to go to an organized summer camp...... just one thing would be great. As it is, that's not happening for us any time soon.....

To the OP, I agree with the others re. stepping up.... as Stosh said though, only if it's in the cards for you ....

Otherwise, I wouldn't wait until September even if your chosen target pack doesn't meet in the summer. I would make contact now to let them know you're coming. Might be easier to fill out the app and get the ball rolling before the September rush.

Another idea might be to attend the district summer activities. Might be an opportunity to get to know the other packs better.

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to continue through the summer but I am going to visit some other den meetings and pack meetings to see how they can be different. If it was just the dl I would stay and co lead but there are other things that bother me also. Let me know if this is how it should go.

Our PL has been the leader for 24 yrs, It isn't a new group. DL is PL son. He's been a dl for 4 yrs.

Can someone tell me how a bear den meeting should be like. What I had imagined was that there was a opening with the pledge and motto, (we did that for a few weeks in the beginning but not in like 7 months now) so we have no real start to our meetings. I thought then maybe there was a group game for team building or songs or a discussion on a cub scout ideal, etc. Something, anything.

We sit down an the tables and our dl looks through the book for 15 minutes and says we don;t really have anything planned but doesn't really plan anything for next week. The boys get antsy and ask to things but we don't usually make a plan for the next week. I have done a few activites and the boys have done some activities with other dl but only I or 2 with our dl. We've never gone outside.

At pinewood derby and B & G, should the DL greet their cubs and say hi? Ours doesn't really. If we see him at a school function he sort of ignores us. He doesn't really seem like he wants to be a dl, I think his mom just want him to be. If it was just the dl I could stay and co lead. They haven't asked me or expressed the idea that he wants help, in fact, I think he feels like I stepped on his toes when I offered to do stuff. I think he's a little shy and was nervous so I was very patient and waited to see what he had planned for the year. Out of the approximately 17 meetings we had, only about 5 did we actually do anything and all but one was with another den or me.

The issues with the PL really bother me because they seem opposite of what I want my son to learn in cub scouts.

She yelled, Hey fatso to her grown son (DL) at a cub meeting. She caught herself and put her mouth over her mouth but she was laughing. She yellls shut up alot. Doesn't seem to know the words please or thank you. In a speech she told someone (I'm not sure who, I couldn't see, it could have been a kid) they better stop eating or they would end up like her son and then she compared her thin son to her chubby son, on stage in front of the pack with council there! wth? She's very intimidating and has been the pl for a long time so she has to know this is inappropriate, right? She's had kids cry because she's very gruff. She doesn't always mean it but she just isn't what I thought a pl would be. I know it's volunteer and she says it's all for the kids etc but I just don't see them learning anything positive. We had gone on a family camp out (only 3 families including mine from our pack went and I didn't know it til afterwards) and my son learned stuff there, everyone was pleasant and fun and knowledgeable.

thanks for reading so much