Scouting on the way out??

Barry, hard to compete with sports/video games. When I was young (I'm 50) sports weren't played year round (also home video games were in their infancy). Also I don't know if it's a problem all over but Scouting in N. IL has the stigma of being for dorks/losers.

I think that we should focus on making it work and as enjoyable as possible so those doing it will let others know. Also think we need to make every effort to put the positive elements of the program in the forefront and NOT overreact to every petty additional attack by PC people. We are never going to see it at the levels it was once; it is a different world. But, there are still many out there that like it and enjoy it when it is done with a proper outdoor focus and youth led programs. Will it be around in fifty years; likely so, but in what guise is hard to say. Nothing stays totally the same. Just stop being "chicken little's".

Hmmm, with all the video games out there, sports are taking a hit in attendance, too.

Not a problem for me, that means just that much more wilderness out there for me to enjoy by myself. :)

Stosh

I'm curious' date=' do you think a boy would choose scouting if it were more fun than sports and video games? Barry[/quote']

Of course they would. My sons choose scouting over those all the time. Now, my oldest is on the high school football team, but so far, that hasn't made him participate any less in scouting.

Scouting is a pretty broad term these days. We've got STEM awards, environmental awards, athletic awards, and outdoors awards that are all geared toward helping make good, strong citizens. We go camping, do high adventure things and work on trails. We also do service to the community. In the past three years I've seen gaming-related merit badges crop up. There's even one for robotics. The BSA is constantly evolving to meet the demands of the youth and trying to keep up with the times.

Now, I think Scouting is way different now that even when I was a teenager. But deep down it's still Scouting and we still recite the Scout Oath and Scout Law with the intention of helping mold good, strong citizens. Sure, that might be considered dorky or weird to some but I think there's always been a certain degree of that sentiment through the ages. I mean, boys wearing short pants and campaign hats and carrying walking sticks around London was probably pretty strange 100+ years ago. ;)

I'm sure Scouting will still be around in 50+ years. As long as we keep the Scout Oath and Scout Law close to our hearts and not make things too complicated, I believe Scouting will be relevant forever.

I think austinole is correct.....Particpation may drop to a point and then level off.

But as pointed out when mom and dad can simpley plunk down $200 and then drop johnny off at the practice field 2 or three times a week for a couple of hours.....It is much better than once a week for scouting and maybe one weekend a month.

Then we ask difficult questions and have a moral standard.....Heck sports coaches don't care if you swear or shoplift or even knock up your girl friend.....

Can you kick, hit or carry the ball for the win then your in.

Besides what kid doesn't like his trophy in his socceer league for most energetic or loudest yell.

If you mean will the BSA still exist? That really depends on if the adults of tomorrow value what BSA's done for them as the youth of today.

Will scouting still exist? Based on the number of scouting organizations world wide and in the USA. Odds are one or two of them will allow youth to hike and camp and head up a vibrant program independent of adults. ;)

So your answer is boys will choose sports and video games even when scouting is more fun. Hmm' date=' My observation is boys' do fun in the order of the most fun first to the least fun last. Barry[/quote']

Our Troop has some boys that are talented playing sports and are looking at scholarship potential, so choosing between the two is a no brainer. We also have a large group of boys that enjoy the campouts and doing the fun stuff but could care less about advancement and attending troop meetings. The other major problem we have is the lack of adult leadership. We have three regular adult leaders that go to every meeting and campout, we can't get other parents to get involved. Are other troops experiencing this problem?

• Upvote 1

Our Troop has some boys that are talented playing sports and are looking at scholarship potential, so choosing between the two is a no brainer. We also have a large group of boys that enjoy the campouts and doing the fun stuff but could care less about advancement and attending troop meetings. The other major problem we have is the lack of adult leadership. We have three regular adult leaders that go to every meeting and campout, we can't get other parents to get involved. Are other troops experiencing this problem?

All troops have that problem to one degree or another. There are two of us in my troop that are regular attendees. I'm (an ASM) at about 75% of campouts, the SM is at about 95%. That said, we rarely have problems getting a third or fourth adult, it's dependable regulars that are the problem.

Do you think that Scouting will exist in next 50 years?

Considering that the scouts of today will be my age in 50 years, that can be a scary thought :eek:.

My scouts will carry the fire, my Spirit will guide them.

My $0.02