Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TheScoutApps.com - New Boy Scout tracking tool (what do you think?)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TheScoutApps.com - New Boy Scout tracking tool (what do you think?)

Hi,

I hope this is appropriate but I wanted to let you know about a new tool that I am developing to help keep track of Boy Scout advancement. The website is www.TheScoutApps.com. Also, if you have an iPhone or iPad you can download The Scout App from the iOS store and your data will sync across both platforms. One of the nice things is that you can use your iPhone even when you don't have an internet connection (like on a camping trip) and it will store all of the data on the phone. Later when you have service, that data will by synced so you can see it from your computer.

If you go to the website, you will see that it is still in its early stages (version 0.2.0) but I would love to get feedback so that I know which features would be most beneficial to you.

Thanks!
    -Kesler

Based on the 37 pages of whining from Droid users on the Scouting Magazine blog last week, my feedback would be to develop a Droid version. (As a LGVX10000 user, I'm neutral in the battle myself)

Comment

I don't mean to be rude but isn't this a solution looking for a problem ? I suppose it could be useful in a T-1 90 days Troop. To be honest I am sure it could be useful for a one in my troop, but Mom runs Troopmaster.

Comment

handbook

Comment

No. This would be the fourth or fifth level of redundancy in advancement tracking. The gold standard is, and will remain, the boys' Scout Handbooks. Any discrepancy between the handbook and any other record, the handbook governs. At the troop level we use TroopMaster. We're in the process of converting to their web-based version and my understanding is I will have access to the records via smartphone. Still, I won't use that for tracking advancement but only for access to emergency contact information. I can see the advantage in that, but even with remote access to TM, I won't use it for entering advancement.

Now if you want to develop a product which competes with TroopMaster, the next time the troop committee decides to revaluate and update our database, we would consider it.

Frankly, this sounds like another toy for the kids to justify keeping the noses glued to their phones a little longer. But come to think of it, you should contact BSA in Texas -- sounds like something they will be all over.

Comment

I have many scouts in my troop who misplace or damage their scout book, and this is a good way to keep track and remember what they have earned, when they have earned it. It won't replace the scout book, but I believe this is truly a great idea especially for larger troops. I will certainty try this, and see how it work. Not to mention it could help when you have to submit reports on badges earned etc.
            Last edited by nextgenscouter1; 04-19-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all the great feedback. I agree with nextgenscouter1 that books are often misplaced and it is nice to have some kind of backup. Also, one of the features coming that will be nice is a boy can share his data with his parents and scout master. That way everyone has access to the data without passing the book around. A phone can also give you notifications and reminders.

I haven't delved into Android development yet, but Scouter99 you make it sound like it might be appreciated .

What are the most important features of TroopMaster you use?

Comment

Originally posted by keslerta View Post
                Awesome, thanks for all the great feedback. I agree with nextgenscouter1 that books are often misplaced and it is nice to have some kind of backup. Also, one of the features coming that will be nice is a boy can share his data with his parents and scout master. That way everyone has access to the data without passing the book around. A phone can also give you notifications and reminders.

I haven't delved into Android development yet, but Scouter99 you make it sound like it might be appreciated .

What are the most important features of TroopMaster you use?
                keslerta, I suggest you search the archives as there has been much discussion in months and years past about the pros and cons of different tracking websites and software. There is plenty info there.

Comment

More advancement tracking, greeeeaaaaat. I will delegate this one off too. Is there any word of a digital copy of the Scout Handbook for smart phones? I'm not a techno nut, but that is a hill I'm willing to let the scouts have if they will keep it with them all the time. Barry

Comment

I have many scouts in my troop who misplace or damage their scout book,

Photocopy, or scan, the advancement sections as they get signed.

As others have said, this is a redundancy. And as I have been told and encountered first hand,.if it doesn't have the BOR's intials/signatures and date, it is not official, and cannot be used to correct the council's records when there are errors.

The Boy Scout Handbook is the #1 official record that all others are based upon.

The signed Advancement Report is the next official record in line.

The Council's SCOUTNET record is third, and as I have seen, is easiest to be screwed up, especially at the Cub Scout level.

Comment

Working...
                    X