I need your help. I have a parent who asked if her son can be with our troop because her son troop shut down for the summer. How do you properly handle that? If he comes when school starts he will be leaving going back to his original troop. How should I handle this. Need for know before I give an answer.

Hello! Welcome to Scouter! If I was in your shoes, I would allow it as long as the scout and his parents agree to pay pro-rated dues for the time he'll be with the troop. Maybe by spending time with your troop over the summer he will stay dual enrolled in your troop or leave his other troop to be with yours full time. It really can't hurt to have him camp with ya'll over the summer.

We always welcome scouts from other troops who want to join us for a weekend or a particular trip. We often have a scout or two from one of the larger troops in the area join us for summer camp because their family schedule prevents them from attending with their own troop. We view it as recruiting and we usually keep them over the long haul.

You are probably OK just letting them attend meetings and camp with you so long as their BSA membership is current. If you're really hung up on membership in the troop they can transfer to your unit for a $1 application fee to the council and then transfer back for anther $1 if/when they want to return to the other troop.

The shutting down for the summer strikes me as odd unless you have a really small troop that is only going to be able to muster 1 or 2 scouts for a meeting because of family vacations.

This happens a lot, although I've not seen it for a whole summer. I don't think there is anything you have to do because the scout is already registered with the BSA, but call council to make sure. Barry

Yeah, this is fairly common. We swap boys frequently for summer camps especially, not to mention the occasional high adventure trip. It's all done as a courtesy with no big deal over the details. We just treat them as ours for as long as they're with us and vice versa.

I would take the scout in. I would talk with the parents and make sure everyone's expectations are on the table. I would also have them sign any form or waivers that you require for your scouts. I would have the scout dual registrar with your troop. On another note congratulations for running a good program. Scout transfer requests are testament that your troop is on the right path.

• Upvote 1

A Scout is Friendly. A Scout is a friend to all. He is a brother to other Scouts. He offers his friendship to people of all races and nations, and respects them even if their beliefs and customs are different from his own.