As we have been reminded, First Class rank in B.S.A. once required a 14 mile foot or boat trip, alone or with one other Scout.

Which of the following answers of years past is closest as to when B.S.A. eliminated the 14-mile journey as a First Class requirement?

65 years ago - WW II is over James West, head man until 1943, dies. First Wood Badge Course at Schiff

55 years ago - New Exploring Program is in the works with co-ed social events and green uniform only in Posts. Run up to 50th anniversary begins

45 years ago - First Cub Scout Day Camps. Congress resolves that B.S.A. should "further ... advance its service to the youth of this Nation as required by their congressional charter to the end that more boys in every segment of our society will be involved in its program and future generations of Americans will be better prepared with the skill and confidence to master the changing

demands of America's future and prepared to give leadership to it.

35 years ago - Bill begins Boy Scout Handbook to "return outing to Scouting" and is Awarded Distinguished Eagle Award.

25 years ago - First Southern Hemisphere World Jamboree ends January 7th. Females allowed to be commissioned Scouters

15 years ago - Venturing created. Scout tries to build nuclear breeder reactor in connection with Merit Badge work

A friend of mine issued a test where each question had one of his students' names among the wrong response choices. Not seeing any of ours in your list, I don't know where to begin the process of elimination.

A friend of mine issued a test where each question had one of his students' names among the wrong response choices. Not seeing any of ours in your list' date=' I don't know where to begin the process of elimination.[/quote'] On a some similar note is my psychology 101 professor who issued a multiple choice test proclaiming if you got every answer wrong you earn an A, get one on right and that's your grade.

The first one is the answer; that was 1949; I became a scout in 1955, and that was NOT a requirement. In regard to the hike, it was not required to be an overnight, so it was not necessarily that hard, especially for youth of that period that walked most places anyway and often worked outside, many on farms. While it would have still been a major challenge for some, I would think that signaling was even then a greater one. While the outdoor program was a bigger part of scouting then and into the fifties, some parts of it were less intensive. Many elements of today's outdoor program opportunities are far more difficult and challenging, due to improved equipment and access.

Baden Powell was known to encourage learning new skills and bringing newer technology into the program. He himself made an effort to do it as well according to some of his biographers.

Our real challenge is to keep the best parts, while using newer products and equipment to further the program. Just because the program began over a hundred years ago does not mean it should stay in that era, and it is unlikely the early proponents would not support taking advantage of new materials, equipment, and technology.

A 14 mile hike or any hike requirement for FC pre-dates me. I joined in time to receive the 50th anniversary strip. Second Class was about planning and completing a hike. First Class was about planning and executing a campout. Seems an unlikely requirement as the starting hike for Hiking merit badge was 10 miles. Trick question?

The Radioactive Boy Scout was more like 20 years ago. I definitely remember him, a sad story all around.

A good morning mental exercise.

A 14 mile hike or any hike requirement for FC pre-dates me. I joined in time to receive the 50th anniversary strip. Second Class was about planning and completing a hike. First Class was about planning and executing a campout. Seems an unlikely requirement as the starting hike for Hiking merit badge was 10 miles. Trick question?

. . .

A good morning mental exercise.

Not a trick of any sort. The last (September, 1945) version was: " 5. Make a round trip alone (or with another Scout) to a point at least seven miles away (fourteen miles in all), going on foot, or rowing a boat, and write a satisfactory account of the trip and the things observed."

Here is the same requirement in the December, 1911, Boys' Life http://books.google.com/books?id=Up2MGKHBw1AC&pg=PA23&lpg=PA23&dq=boy+scout+first+class+%22seven+miles%22&source=bl&ots=wQrAaFfCsZ&sig=yAYxPYa0OwTwENjULDYy7MqT9cE&hl=en&sa=X&ei=nudGU932IfGpsASC-IDQDg&ved=0CDcQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=boy%20scout%20first%20class%20%22seven%20miles%22&f=false

It was part of Scouting almost from the beginning but gone for the period of growth in the 50's and 60"s.

Not a trick of any sort. The last (September, 1945) version was: " 5. Make a round trip alone (or with another Scout) to a point at least seven miles away (fourteen miles in all), going on foot, or rowing a boat, and write a satisfactory account of the trip and the things observed."

It was part of Scouting almost from the beginning but gone for the period of growth in the 50's and 60"s.

I stand corrected, luckily by you and not by Kudu :).

Other than distance, this requirement seems low on scout content. I mean could you walk 7 miles down Rt 1 to an ice cream stand and back and report "I saw a '36 Packard and a Jeep."?

My 1959 handout - Second Class Test Hike

"After you have done the above (requirements 1-5), prove yourself a Scout Hiker by taking a hike, properly clothed and equipped , with your patrol (or at least one companion approved by your Scoutmaster). One this hike, cover a route of a total distance of not less than five miles indicated on a map or map sketch, show correct hike style and highway safety, cook a meal, clean up, and return in good condition."