Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AmazonSmile lists nearly a million charitable organizations that buyers may choose - the Boy Scouts of America (BSA), the Wounded Warrior Project, the American Red Cross, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, ...

As of Thursday, over 105,000 had signed a change.org petition calling on Amazon to suspend its support of the Boys Scouts for as long as the group continued to ban gay adults. Seventeen-year-old Pascal Tessier, considered the first openly gay Eagle Scout approved under the new policy (though there’s no official tracking mechanism to confirm,) launched the petition last month, after the BSA ousted Geoffrey McGrath, a gay Seattle Scoutmaster, and revoked his church’s charter agreement. (the Troop and the Pack)

“Geoff is an Eagle Scout, a husband and the founder of two Scouting units in underserved neighborhoods,” wrote Tessier on his change.org petition, and yet, “Amazon is supporting the Boy Scouts through its Amazon Smile program. Discrimination is nothing to smile about.”

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/amazon-bo...ti-gay-problem

Comment

Interesting that the headline is not "BSA Not a Hate Group, Says SPLC"

Comment

Nice, @qwazse! It would be much more beneficial to US Scouting if somewhere WERE to shout that BSA is NOT, in fact, a hate group. some just can't get that...

Regarding the topic at hand, I am not pleased with this tactic of asking Amazon to stop funding for Scouts. While many of you know--by now -- I support full inclusion, this change.org action doesn't sit well with me. Many ppl have asked me to sign the petition and I refuse.

By hurting the Scouts you aren't fixing the problem.

Comment

But, you see LeCastor, those pushing this politicalization of everything do not care that they hurt the program, even though its benefits, even with the currently overblown problem, are hugely positive. I just do not get their reasoning, if they actually have any.

Comment

Originally posted by qwazse View Post
            Interesting that the headline is not "BSA Not a Hate Group, Says SPLC"
            I guess the NBC Scout Beat noticed that someone dropped the ball, headline is now "Pressure Grows on Amazon to Cut Ties with Boy Scouts of America"

While we're kicking out gay activists who are using kids as weapons, let's go ahead with this twit Tessier; he's in clear violation of the rules against politicizing Scouting.

Comment

Working...
            X