X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support Scouting via Amazon purchases

(H/T to my friend and fellow Scouter, Ida Lively)

Now you can support Scouting through your purchases on Amazon:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/201...port-scouting/
    As if you needed another excuse to shop at Amazon.com. Now every purchase you make from the Earth's biggest online store can support the charity of your choice, including Scouting. Through its new AmazonSmile program, Amazon will donate 0.5 percent of the price of your eligible purchase to the 501(c)(3) public charitable organization of your choice. Sure, half a percent…

thanks for the heads up. I'm supporting scouting through amazon now.

Comment

Some troops do this as well and notify their members. Usually there is a link on the troop website to click before starting your Amazon transaction.

Comment

Good idea regarding the unit. Did not occur to me that I might be able to put it in there rather than the local council. Enough people shop Amazon to possibly add a few dollars to the camping funds. Is there a problem with a CO id number?
        Last edited by skeptic; 03-31-2014, 11:45 AM. Reason: Add to

Comment

Originally posted by skeptic View Post
          Good idea regarding the unit. Did not occur to me that I might be able to put it in there rather than the local council. Enough people shop Amazon to possibly add a few dollars to the camping funds. Is there a problem with a CO id number?
          Looking at link
          https://org.amazon.com/ref=smi_ge_uaas_org_org

apparently all that Amazon requires is the unit bank account and contact information.

Comment

Sez the OP (emphasis mine):
            "The Boy Scouts of America’s National Council and its nearly 300 local councils all are eligible charities. Individual packs, troops, teams, posts, ships and crews aren’t eligible to earn money through AmazonSmile."

Comment

Originally posted by qwazse View Post
              "The Boy Scouts of America’s National Council and its nearly 300 local councils all are eligible charities. Individual packs, troops, teams, posts, ships and crews aren’t eligible to earn money through AmazonSmile."
              It's still a free way to give money to the council. Beats FOS, and it's something my wife does anyway (Shop on Amazon).

Comment

Originally posted by qwazse View Post
                Yeah I chuckled when I read that. Good luck also trying to say units cannot sell popcorn over the internet or fund raise via crowd-funding sites. Those horses are already out of the barn.
                Last edited by RememberSchiff; 03-31-2014, 06:42 PM.

Comment

As long as the donor is getting something in return for their money (goods or services), why is this not okay as a Unit money earning opportunity? It isn't a handout- only FOS can do that. It really bugs me that the Council tries to restrict our ability to finance a good Unit Program, but when we need something from them, they have a tendency to scatter like roaches when you turn the kitchen light on.

Comment

I believe you need to be a 501(c)3 to use Amazon Smile. So I don't see why it wouldn't work if your unit is a 501(c)3 (of course not many units are).

Comment

I'm betting that some COs are though, and the Unit is owned by the CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Torchwood View Post
                        That's my plan, if the CO allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by Torchwood View Post
                          However, even though the Scout unit is "owned" by the CO, it is not the UNIT that is the 501(c)3 - it is the CO.

The organization name that will be getting the donation from Amazon will be the CO's - not - the Scout Unit.

AmazonSmile will donate to St Whozits Church. It is then up to St Whozits Church where they allocate those donated funds.

Comment

And then there was that one Pack that was raising funds via Amazon by selling the bogus handbook app for Kindle. Looks like it might be gone now.

Comment

Make your purchases in the next 5 minutes before Amazon yanks BSA from the program. https://www.change.org/petitions/ama...-on-gay-adults

Comment

Working...
                              X