do your troop's adults eat the boy's food or do your own?

I'm a CS guy, getting involved with our CO's troop. Talking wit the SM the other day, and was surprised to hear that the adults will eat whatever the boys are cooking.

I thought that the norm would be more like the adults set up camp near the boys for emergency response and guidance, and that the adults could even lead by example.... that it's possible to eat "this good" if you plan and work for it!

So how does your troop work the food at camps?

In our troop, the adults are their own "patrol" along with the SPL and ASPL (if they want to eat with us). We do this to lead by example, and because we like to eat well. We're also less likely to interfere with the boys' eating plans this way--I wouldn't eat some of what they plan for menus.

• Upvote 2

Most troops I've been involved in have the adults cooking and eating separately. 3 troops I've been in, (Brownsea 22 training troop, JLTC troop, and high adventure "troop" I went to Canada with) had adults and Leadership Corps/Staff as guests of the patrols.

Personally I prefer adults on our own as we get better meals :)

With the troop, it varies. At summer camp, adults take rotation as guests at each patrol. On backpacking trips we often have our separate mess kits. And, boys will split the meal with whoever wants to share the same thing. Sometimes that's an adult. Other times, when I really want to show how it's done, I organize the old-fart's patrol into a culinary masterpiece.

With the crew, we're all a team and when my most talented youth are cooking, you ain't keeping me from eating with them. :D

• Upvote 1

Leaders are separate, boys are on their own for the most part. On backpack trips, the adults mostly take the 'lone wolf' approach, each on his/her own. The only time we eat food cooked by the boys is if we are invited by them.

Adults do their own thing. I love to cook so I don't mind doing adult patrol cooking. When necessary I cook out of my mess kit. I kinda enjoy that now and then. Boys are "kept at a distance" from the adults, but during food prep, we let them sneak a peak at what's being served so they can improve their skills. If the wind is blowing just right, we take full advantage of it.

Stosh

In my home Troop, there are "guidelines" for meals, (no soda pop, no "poptart" type stuff, etc.) but other than that, the Patrols are encouraged to cook "adventurously". ASMs and SM can and do veto poor Patrol food plans, but adults cook and eat with adults. Taste tests may happen cross cultural exchange and all between Patrols, but adults with adults and Scouts with Scouts.

Separate. Watch a camp site: a large amount of the hovering, activity, etc is around the cooking. If the adults are eating with the scouts, there's no space for them to lead themselves.
When our adults are guests at scouts' tables, we stay at the adult campsite sipping our coffee (usually my espresso and one other lest robust brand) until a messenger is sent to let us know the meal is ready. We leave before the washing up starts.

Although, if the dishwater is ready, I'll clean my own bowl, porcelain espresso cup, and gay floral patterned silverware and leave it to dry in a corner of the camp box approved by the PL.

I'm a CS guy, getting involved with our CO's troop. Talking wit the SM the other day, and was surprised to hear that the adults will eat whatever the boys are cooking.

I thought that the norm would be more like the adults set up camp near the boys for emergency response and guidance, and that the adults could even lead by example.... that it's possible to eat "this good" if you plan and work for it!

So how does your troop work the food at camps?

There are as many different methods as there are troops. Our troop has the adult "patrol". We camp together away from the boys and plan a menu, shop for and cook our own food just like they do. The method you described is what happens at Jamboree. There are 4 adult leaders and 4 youth senior leadership and 4 patrols. We had a rotating schedule and an adult and senior leader would eat with adifferent patrol for each meal. That is done more for the time limits that come with a Jambo than anything else and provides time to get to know the boys who are in our charge for such a short time.

An issue I had with my troop was that we provided different equipment to the adults than we did to the youth. The SM at times would be concerned with how long it took the patrols to cook and do KP. Well, they didn't have the turkey cookers type burners and large pots we had. They had coleman stoves and small pots. A horse and buggy is going to take longer to get to town than a racecar. I mention this because I think it is important for adults to set the example. We really shouldn't set ourselves apart and use better equipment than they have. That can create resentment. So can "eating better" than them. But all we do is plan a menu of what we want to eat using the ssame amount of money they do. They choose fast and simple. We take this as an opportunity to challenge them to stretch themselves in the cooking arena. They too can eat just like the adults if they really want to. There is always a standing offer to show them how.

Honestly. I've seen what the boys "cook" and eat for the past 10 years and I prefer to stay in my area and eat the adult food.

Meal times are for patrols to have their own "family" meals, just like your family does (or should). They work together to cook and clean up, say grace together then spend the time talking. Plopping an adult in the middle completely changes the dynamic.

Our adults lead by example and conduct our "patrol" meals the same way.

• Upvote 2