Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

do your troop's adults eat the boy's food or do your own?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Twocubdad View Post
    ..... Plopping an adult in the middle completely changes the dynamic.....
    That's exactly one of the things I was thinking.....
    Also, I'm just really not all that interested in eating what they cook..... but that's based on my assumption they'll be having ramen (even if it is cooked) and such....
    I gotta admit, adults on their own appeals to me even more than adult patrol, BUT I would think a mix of solo and patrol cooking could have advantages..... even for the boys.

Comment

It depends on the camping. If we are doing a setup camp since we only have a couple of trucks to haul the gear we have a community kitchen and the SPL dictates the kitchen schedule including the adult times. Each patrol provides it's own food. It has happened that the patrol leaders have gotten together with the SPL and each patrol is in charge of a different meal. Adults do have to fend for themselves. At one campout a patrol traded to the adults some bratwurst for the barbeque chicken we were cooking.

When we go to resident patrol camp the boys cook breakfast and supper for everyone including the leaders. The leaders are on their own for lunch but we get together with the leaders from other troops on the first day and create a patrol and each day a couple of us make lunch for everyone.

Backpacking trips everyone has their own food.
      Last edited by NH195SM; 03-04-2014, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Adults act as a patrol. Use the same cost allotment as the boys when buying food. Cooking competition is held during every campout for the Saturday evening meal. PLC sets the theme. Patrols plan menu, buy food and cook to meet the theme. Started out a few adventurous adults would wander around and sample patrol meals. Very quickly patrols decided to make a presentation plate and deliver to the adult area. Troop rules are no Ramin, no poptarts, no hotdogs. Troop has at least one dutch oven for every patrol. Box oven making and cooking presentations are given annually. Level of cooking improved dramatically within 3 months of themed competition.

Comment

• perdidochas
          perdidochas commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you have a good set of plans for a box oven?

• Eagle92
          Eagle92 commented
          Editing a comment
          Peri,

the old How-To-Book has the plans.

Real easy to make. Need cardboard box, aluminum foil, and STAPLES ( emphasis)

Basically put fopil all over the box, allowing to cardboard to be exposed, and staple the foil to the box. Tape comes undoen in the heat.

I put in two brick to elevate a pan with charcoal, and then larger bricks to elevate a grill over the charcoal.

I've cooked cookies and pizza in one.

The Old Goat Patrol cooks and cleans just like any other Patrol when we camp. We do keep an eye on the boys who are cooking for their patrols, just to make sure that no one is doing anything dangerous, but it is always from a few steps back.

Comment

The leaders and adult drivers set up our own camp and cook separately. The SM and/or ASM will taste test and might give pointers to cook. At our one district weekend campout a year the adults will Dutch oven cook for the Saturday night troop meal. We use this as a way to teach them how good a meal can be. Also it allows the whole troop to participate in the activities / campfire program.

Comment

The adult leadership in our Troop eats what the scouts make for their particular meal.
            Maybe this is due to usually having ad hoc patrols on any particular outing.
            I have eaten less than desirable pancakes, stew that was more like watery soup, and other burnt/poorly prepared meals. It is a skill that most boys today don't do much of. It is a learning experience for them. IMO, it helps the boys learn that when cooking for the entire group, it is important to accept feedback, and know what you did right, and where there is room for improvement.
            Now, on the other side of the coin, I've eaten some wonderful chili, dutch oven lasagna, dutch oven pizza, and some dump cake deserts. As the boys get older, and more confident in their cooking skills, it is rewarding to see them learn and grow.

Comment

Working...
            X