Well if fire-starting skill not for cooking, warmth, signalling, maybe ...

I supported this one through Kickstarter, will report on it once I receive it and test it in the field!
May you have better luck than I did with the 3d scanner I supported through Kickstarter Embarrassment :o. Somewhere a clever design is still trying to find a quality manufacturing and logistics system.
I supported this one through Kickstarter, will report on it once I receive it and test it in the field!
It should work fine. I think it must be a nicely-executed application of thermocouple technology. I made a thermocouple array back in the early '60s to power a transistor radio. I got that idea from Popular Electronics magazine and it worked just fine. We use this same principle routinely to measure heat transfer rates for things as diverse as light sources to hibernating rodents. In principle, it should work great.
Guess I am missing what it is for??????

So it states that it is 2w which at 5 volts is a .4 amp charge. so my phone has an 1800mah battery. It would take 4.5 hours to charge it.

Same for that one that the BSA marketed.....

http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

I'd think I'd prefer this one, stick powered. That's a lot of gas to carry to charge a phone.

So it states that it is 2w which at 5 volts is a .4 amp charge. so my phone has an 1800mah battery. It would take 4.5 hours to charge it.

Or you could just USE the phone while it's on the 'charger'. Me, I'd leave the phone at home and enjoy its absence. But the technology is fine.

Soooo, a kickstarter to kickstart something that already exists?

I think I need some money to kickstart my idea, I call it: The Wheel.

I was pondering this the other night.

So they don't have electricity and need to charge a cell phone for communication purposes?????

Do they have cell towers???

Most cell towers have backup power. So even if power is down to an area, the towers will stay up for hours, days, possibly even a week or more if the backup is sufficient.

I like this. It's a far better alternative than most other products out there for charging phones. Most battery-powered chargers like the Eton products are mostly useless for charging phones. The hand-crank devices are totally useless. You can maybe get enough of a charge for a minute of talk time after a really long time cranking.

This seems more practical. To an extent anyway. I do wonder how this would work in an open campfire, if the water container is fire-proof, etc.

I would Rather Buy the Stove which Charges..dual purpose item.

Now design one that charges more, has a larger mass and can be attached to a much larger surface and Keep it Cheap in Price I would consider it. I could use on on My Firebox on My BBQ Grill :) The Surface can easily reach 600 and I run it over 14 hours straight many times.

I use Solar Rope lighting On My Canopy..Would be nice to Have an additional way to charge the batteries..Sometimes there just ain't enough Daylight in the Winter to get a Full nights charge or I get placed where I get to much shade.

As for Leaving the Phone at Home..Take it..just don't use it unless it is an Emergency. Sometimes a Cell phone could mean the difference between Life and Death and You will never know when you truly need it until it occurs.

I'd rather get equipment that's good at what it does. For a portable stick-powered stove, I like the EmberLite or similar stoves. If I want to recharge my electronics, I have a 19W solar panel and 2 Li-Ion battery packs capable of storing 6600 mAh each -- more than enough for a weekend campout.