E-Cigarettes, Vaping - Does it have a place in scouting?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, @RichardB, my opinion has changed 180 degrees based on recent developments.  The evidence is trickling in that these "drug delivery devices" are not as "safe and harmless" as the manufacturers l

Just like any other tobacco product, shouldn't be used in front of the Scouts.

Yes, as a discussion point under substance abuse, sub-topic addiction.

This is a tough one. E-cigs contain a water solution of nicotine. They are not a "tobacco product" and it's not the nicotine that causes cancer, emphysema, etc....it's the thousands of other chemicals in tobacco smoke. The "smoke" that is produced is water vapor, and presumably not as harmful as "second hand smoke". Smokers have an addiction to nicotine, just like I have an addiction to caffeine. I cannot go camping without my coffee in the mornings, otherwise I get incapacitated with a migraine headace. Is it any different for a smoker to get their "fix" of nicotine, just like I have to get my "fix" of caffeine? Coffee is socially acceptable, because there is no proof that it causes any health problems. It remains to be seen if e-cigs will gain accptance in the workplace and in restaurants. I cannot think of a reason why they should be banned.

E-Cigs definitely nullify the "second hand smoke" argument because, well, there is none! Yet the Tobacco Nazis continue to rebel against a HARMLESS product because,well, it LOOKS like smoking! GOD FORBID someone should be allowed to have a little enjoyment! Some folks need to get control of their OWN lives before attempting to control the lives of others, IMO.

We had a leader who used E-cigs DISCREETLY, and was still scoped out and hounded by a Cig Nazi in our troop. My response? "Why aren't you commending him on trying to quit, instead of criticizing him for it?" Self-righteousness.

Food for thought,.

By the way, E-Cigs ARE banned in some places for the very same reasons I listed above.

• Like 1

We have a problem with youth using ecigarettes in our schools and many children are addicted. Our school system is struggling with the issue. Kinda hard when you see a 10 year old using one of these walking home.

We treat it as a cigarette and no youth are permitted to use it on a scout outing.

Harmless, Probably fall into the same category as caffeine in coffee.....We do not allow youth to drink coffee with out a note from mom or monster type energy drinks on outings or activities. Caffeine is fine for most folks in reasonable amounts.......

It looks like it will be irrelevant, the Canadian Health agency has banned the sale. The FDA will probably end up banning it as well.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/ecigarettes-under-fire

• Like 1

Frankscout, lets not tivilize one of the most destructive idelogies of violence in the history of mankind, Nazism to people who want to ban cigarettes.

Because it's a controversial thing, I'd say no, but the issue has never come up in my unit.

• Like 1
Frankscout, lets not tivilize one of the most destructive idelogies of violence in the history of mankind, Nazism to people who want to ban cigarettes.

Because it's a controversial thing, I'd say no, but the issue has never come up in my unit.

You'll see my point when the coffee pot is viewed as just as evil as the Marlboro pack. Mark my words, it WILL happen.
We have a problem with youth using ecigarettes in our schools and many children are addicted. Our school system is struggling with the issue. Kinda hard when you see a 10 year old using one of these walking home.

We treat it as a cigarette and no youth are permitted to use it on a scout outing.

Harmless, Probably fall into the same category as caffeine in coffee.....We do not allow youth to drink coffee with out a note from mom or monster type energy drinks on outings or activities. Caffeine is fine for most folks in reasonable amounts.......

It looks like it will be irrelevant, the Canadian Health agency has banned the sale. The FDA will probably end up banning it as well.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/features/ecigarettes-under-fire

Agree totally that kids shouldn't use them. It's an adult product made (intended) for those who wish to quit cigarettes. Use it away from Scouts only because it can be easily mistaken for the "real thing".
  • Like 1

Perhaps, when coffee or tabacco destroys the lives of over 20 million people and ravages Europe, then we can start comparing things to Nazis.

I'm afraid you are missing my point entirely. Trying to explain would be going off-topic.

I get your point. You draw a distinction between e cigs and real ones. And compare e cigs to coffee. (Which they both have low health risks and are habit forming)

However I'm not sure if you got my point.

Here is the issue......

I am not sure they were ever intended to help folks quit smoking.

It has become a seperate addiction to it's own.

In a discussion with one of the chemist at work, he was wondering how long before they figure out how to put other things in liquid. Say THC, PCP or some other much more significant mind altering drug.

I have some coworkers that have switched from cigarettes to the ecig.....They use it in our shared work space. I am sure that I am exposed,

• Like 1
Here is the issue......

I am not sure they were ever intended to help folks quit smoking.

It has become a seperate addiction to it's own.

In a discussion with one of the chemist at work, he was wondering how long before they figure out how to put other things in liquid. Say THC, PCP or some other much more significant mind altering drug.

I have some coworkers that have switched from cigarettes to the ecig.....They use it in our shared work space. I am sure that I am exposed,

They already have. From what I have read on other discussion boards and an article on the internet from a major news source linked in Drudge, they are putting cannabis oil in these so that they can discreetly smoke pot anywhere.