Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is it Written, travel in uniform?..and is full uniform needed for family camp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always worn the uniform when traveling on scout outings. A fellow scouter picked up the dinner tab for my entire crew one evening because my son and I were in uniform.

Comment

• Eagledad
      Eagledad commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I had a similar story as well. But sometimes you would be surprised what boys acting likes scouts will get as well. Our troop of about 60 scouts and adults stopped at a Pizza Hut in a small town in the panhandle of Texas. I believe it was Dumas. We were on our way home to Oklahoma City coming from a week long summer camp in Colorado. We typically wear our Class A uniforms during travel, but our troop stopped and did a half day rafting trip after we left in camp that morning. We didn’t bother to change in our uniforms because, well frankly we were tired, smelly, and nasty from the rafting. We just wanted to get home. Anyways, four hours later in Texas we stopped at the Pizza Hut for dinner. The adults taking a break from driving (and the boys) came in the restaurant a couple minutes after them. The PLC had already found tables and picked one for the adults separated from the scouts. We sat down and ordered a few pizzas and a couple pitchers of sodas. When the manager brought out the first pitchers, he said half the pizza and all the drinks were on Pizza Hut. At this point the adults did not know that anyone knew we were scouts. We certainly didn’t look (or smell) like it, so we were baffled by the generosity. The manager explained that the boys were so orderly and considerate of the other people in the restaurant when they came in, we just knew they had to be boy scouts. So we asked and they told us they were a troop from Oklahoma City. We are impressed and want to acknowledge it by helping out with your bill. When folks talk about bad examples of scouts in public, I always think back on the evening. Barry
Working...
X