Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where is it Written, travel in uniform?..and is full uniform needed for family camp?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is it Written, travel in uniform?..and is full uniform needed for family camp?

Ok uniform police, where is it written....
    Specifically re. Cub Scouts if that matters.....
    that you should wear the Field Uniform while traveling?

We have a family RV/tent camping trip coming up at Fort Wilderness. Our pack isn't a full uniform outfit, but I'm a fan of the uniform method so I have been trying to set an example.
    I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I want to do re. wearing my uniform..... and having my son wear his.
    Since nobody else will be wearing it, I don't want to force him to be the only one.
    We don't have any formal scout events planned, it'll just be family get together and fun.
    I'm considering just bringing it and wearing mine on our full day, Saturday, around camp.

I have no question about wearing it when going to a council camp, but this is different. More relaxed.... and I know the other leaders won't be in uniform, and only some of the boys will be in T-shirts.

What would you do?

Since the BSA does not have a rule that the uniform is required, it does not have a rule that it must be worn while traveling.

Comment

The "Travel In Uniform Or Insurance Won't Cover You" myth has been around for years, You won't find it anywhere in BSA literature. Your attire when traveling, visiting, or camping is a Pack decision,.

Comment

No Brainer. It's a family trip, relax...leave the uniform at home.

Comment

It depends on the kind of Pack you want to have. If you set an expectation that uniforms will be worn when traveling and on "official" Scout outings, then that's what your Scouts and Adult Leaders will do. Since this doesn't sound like an official Pack event, I wouldn't expect any requirement, but certainly an option for yourself and your son and others would be appropriate.

One of the areas BSA falls down is in marketing and visibility. As I noted on another thread, having Scouts wear the uniform to school on the day of a Pack or Den meeting was a great way to generate visibility when I was a Cub Scout. Being ashamed to wear the uniform in public is no way to generate public confidence in our program.

Comment

If you are proud of your uniform. Wear it. It's the best you can do.
            The second best you could do is have a chocolate bar for every boy who is in uniform at dinner and/or flags.

Comment

• Eagledad
              Eagledad commented
              Editing a comment
              This reminds me of a back packing trip we did in New Mexico; we decided to go to the Santa Fe Arts Festival the day before we got on the trail and as we were driving in the parking lot, the Scouts saw several young ladies about their age. So they decided to remove their scout shirts while we adults left ours on. The scouts took off on their own, but they were close enough in the crowd to watch venders giving free food to those of us in uniform. We laughed later joking with the boys that they didn't even get the girl. Barry

• qwazse
              qwazse commented
              Editing a comment
              Who knows? Had they kept their uniforms on, you might have had yourself a venturing crew for the day!

• perdidochas
              perdidochas commented
              Editing a comment
              My boys were going to an OA event with two OA leaders (our Scoutmaster and a lodge official), all four in uniform. They got stuck in traffic close to a Cape Cod potato chips truck. They asked the driver if he had any food for hungry Scouts. They got a small box of chips and crackers. I've bought Cape Cod chips ever since, and I know it was due to them being in uniform.

"I" and the PLC require uniform when traveling as a unit. My boys are well behaved and a good example of the BSA. Now if my lads were like that horde of animals I saw in VA last summer, I would quit or make them dress in prison garb.

There is no national requirement

Comment

• Eagledad
              Eagledad commented
              Editing a comment
              Our scouts follow the scout Handbook on uniforming, but we do have a unit rule that scouts must wear the full uniform while traveling. We started doing this when we found that store clerks at the many gas stops and convienience stores we stop during our trips kind of panic when a couple dozen boys go running through the store. The uniform identifies them to the adults in uniform and surprisingly calms them. I remember a truck driver at one gas stop in Clayton New Mexico personally apologized to every scout because she was wearing a sexually derogatory t-shirt. She was ashamed and said she would never do that in public again. Folks respect the Boy Scout uniform more than we can understand I guess. Barry
              Last edited by Eagledad; 11-06-2013, 08:14 AM.

I am still trying to get over a pack campout at Fort Wilderness! Wow! I wish I was in your pack.

Comment

• Basementdweller
              Basementdweller commented
              Editing a comment
              Camping with a Pack a Disney sounds like ZERO Fun.

• perdidochas
              perdidochas commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree with BD.

Agree with others. The uniform requirement "while traveling so you can be insured by the BSA" is a myth that appears to have no end in sight. The uniform is not required to a member of the BSA or participate in BSA activities, therefore members out-of-uniform will receive BSA insurance coverage. We wear the uniform to proudly identify ourselves as members of the BSA, but that's about it. Whatever your Pack decides to do regarding the uniform is up to your Pack. Have a great outing!

Comment

• perdidochas
              perdidochas commented
              Editing a comment
              Exactly. Our troop travels in Class As. The way I see it, that uniform is close to $100. I want to see it used. As a leader with two sons, we've got around $300 tied up in uniforms (more if you count all the socks we've lost). I have gotten nothing but praise and compliments from the general public (then again, I do live in the conservative Florida Panhandle) when in uniform. When the troop invaded a Subway on the way to summer camp, one of the other customers gave $20 to the cashier to help with our bill. Little things like that show me that wearing the uniform on travel is a good thing. I think it's good that the general public realizes that there are Boy Scouts outside of parades.

Thnking about this, I remember the 140, or so, scouts in the pack when I was asked to be CM didn't have a uniform policy. The way we tackled that problem was through the Webelos by encouraging them to wear full uniforms at all the activities. That wasn't hard to do either because we also give them the same camo booney hats the military soldiers wore. The hats were great because they were very durable for scouting activities, and they looked very cool compared to the BSA baseball caps. My 30 and 27 year old sons still have theirs and most of the scouts wore theirs through Boy Scouts as well. I remember looking at a lot of pictures of scouts at their Eagle COH wearing those booney hats everywhere from the Canadian Boundary Waters to scuba diving in Mexico. Somehow it became a Pack policy that only the Webelos had the honor of wearing the booney hat, so they wore their uniforms with a lot pride, and the younger ages couldn't wait to be Webelos. Because the Webelos looked cool, we never had problems with all the scouts dressing in uniform, even while traveling. Barry

Comment

• Basementdweller
              Basementdweller commented
              Editing a comment
              Not to go off topic, I am completely mystified by the money......scuba diving in mexico. We cannot pay for a $200 summer camp.

Depressed and completely lost when it comes to financing a troop.............

• Eagledad
              Eagledad commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I don't have details of the trips of different troops because I had 17 Webelos that ended up scattered in troops all over the district. I was invited to their Eagle COHs where they showed off pictures of their scouting adventures. I was told by one SM that the scuba trip in Mexico through a local outfitter was cheaper than the trips to Boundary Waters. I guess its all in who you know. Barry

• jblake47
              jblake47 commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely! I have taken scouts to BWCA for a 9-day trek, cheaper than had they gone to summer camp for 5 days.

Stosh

Insurance? Wearing uniform is about Esprit de Coprs (please excuse my french spelling LOL).
            I am for wearing uniform from and to camp, other events and all.
            Got Class A's, Class B's and C's. (I wore the Centennial with basic patches as Class B and a full patched brown button old school as Class A).
            I was one of the nerds who would wear his cub or scout uniform to school for class picture day 8-)

But this gruesome world sometimes has other plans: BSA TAC Packs/Troops are advised not to wear the Uniform Shirt in public in europe due to the Flag.
            We got a terror warning before heading out to summer camp not to appear like 'mericans.
            Committee member who relayed the message from the embassy was wearing a t shirt with eagle & flag at the time *facepalm* (she cool though. stubborn LOL).

When I took the cubs out to the world money fair it was also a no-uniforms activity.
            Sort of sad if we can only wear our shirts locked up & out of sight if overseas.

Mind you on the way back from summer camp we spent a night at the new Camp Bayern in the army barracks (as in: we didnt sleep in the BSA camp site but the boys got a couple of rooms as the soldiers had left a couple of buildings empty). I love reveille in the morning and I only ever feel safe if I know all my scouts are behind barbed wire ^o^

Around Kandersteg and the International Scout Center you can take the public transport for free if you wear your necker.

In NZ uniforms are worn at all meetings, to and from camp. At camp t shirts with neckers is ok. (They just got new shirts, until 2011 the NZ Uniform was scout polo shirts, no pockets or anything)
            Last edited by berliner; 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM. Reason: format

Comment

• Nike
              Nike commented
              Editing a comment
              Our old troop, as well as the neighboring troops, in southern Germany wears the uniform everywhere, including on the trains. Things in Berlin might be dicier.

• berliner
              berliner commented
              Editing a comment
              Considering Opsec and all: Yes, behind the front lines it would be dicier.
              We dont have a Brigade anymore, just a handful of Jarheads.
              My old troop was "Outpost of Freedom".
              OP is different AO than PX ;-)
              Last edited by berliner; 11-19-2013, 09:45 PM. Reason: exchanged name for acronym

When I was in Europe my New Balance sneakers showed me as American.

Comment

• jpstodwftexas
              jpstodwftexas commented
              Editing a comment
              Clean Shaven and "High-n-Tight" Haircut gave me away...that and the Cowboy Hat and Cowboy Boots. Those Europeans could spot 'MERICANS in the Dark...especially once we start Talking
              I walked all over Aschaffenburg Germany daily in BDU's..I did not feel the need to hide when Off duty.

• berliner
              berliner commented
              Editing a comment
              Aschaffenburg is safe as ... plus an adult male in BDU is maybe a tad more intimidating than a 10 year old with a flag on his sleeve.
              Remember if someone wants to pick a fight, that person is gonna be looking for an easy target.

So if your SM/ASM are civillian and office commandos you cant act like the troops down south where nearly every ASM is an Airborne Ranger.
              My IOLS was with the Green Beanies, the Green Berets 8-)

Yes it is sad and heck no I dont like it one bit ... but in the past 20-30 years there have been so many threats and real attacks that us handful that are not
              in CONUS (Continental United States) have to watch out a tad bit more. The threat is real.

Usually threat reports are handed to BSA by US personel, but just like a week or 2 ago the german goverment gave out a blanket alert for ALL US posts in germany: too many people pissed off at the NSA, might lead to attacks. Mind you the german Feds gave the alert but local police cant be bothered.
              Given the attitude, some people think "we" have it coming anyway.

So better not look too much like Yanks now. Unless ya got SM tendencies ;-)

• Tampa Turtle
              Tampa Turtle commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes Pakkie. The Tampa Bay Buccaneer jersey really gave me away (I got a couple "Tampa Bay!" call outs in London) as well the fact I had a Van Dyke beard--facial hair was out of fashion when I was there as well. We really stood out in Finland (kids found us fascinating but one night we were backpacking to our hostel in Helsinki and some drunk young Finns roared by in a car and shouted "Damn Swedes!"

yeah, I never heard the add on that it was for insurance. I have only heard that a scout is "supposed to wear" his uniform when traveling. I pretty much figured that it wasn't a hard rule.

as a side update, the trip to the fort went well, or so I hear. My whole family ended up with some sort of flu bug, over the weekend so we missed it this year.

Comment

...for insurance,,,what a load. AFAIC why would it matter even if it WAS written somewhere? Just do whatever works best for the unit and the boys. This is nonsense.

Comment

Back on Topic.
                I ain't ashamed of Wearing the Boy Scout Uniform, not even when I was a Youth.
                Why Not show off your pride?
                are you ashamed of Being a Scouter?

Amazes me how everyone complains about cost of a Scout Uniform, yet I bet most kids are running around in high Dollar Sneakers and busy texting on the Newest Cellphone on the Market

Traveling in a Uniform easily Identifies Members of your Group? I remember once on the Way to Philmont we stopped to help fix a Flat on a Van. As We started off the Driver looked in the Mirror and realized one of our group was still standing on the roadside

Comment

• berliner
                  berliner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am so proud to be a scouter, I wear a BSA Stetson smokey bear. Top that.
                  Last edited by berliner; 11-19-2013, 09:58 PM.

• qwazse
                  qwazse commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm so proud of being a scouter, I drop young women and men off cliffs! (After teaching them how to tie-in on a figure 8 on a bight. )

• berliner
                  berliner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thats great Q. I love abseiling. Or climbing up.

I am so proud to be a scouter, I even push trainers over the EDGE.
              Working...
              X