Best Scout Items for Holiday Gifts

Hanukkah will be upon us soon and I want to get my son something that he will need for Boy Scouts. He is an AOL who will cross to the Troop in March. Last year, we gave him a pocket knife. Any ideas on what would be best? I looked at possibly a mess kit, but I wasn't even sure what kind would be best for that.

Hanukkah, eh?

How about a fire-starting kit? Candle lantern? Head lamp?

What would be best depends on your child's personality. Plus there's a lot of cub-scout things to do before March. So, don't forget things like fixings for a pinewood derby kit, or whatever else may be on your pack's agenda.

Another neat gift: parachord and a knot guide.

Hard to recommend when we don't know the type or location of program he is in.

Our Troop

Quality 0 degree sleeping bag

Quality 40 degree bag

Backpack internal or external frame

Sleeping Pad

Mess kit

or maybe aquatics gear, his own PFD or paddle if the troop is a kayaking or canoeing unit

Lots of little stuff, whetstone, small swiss army knife, Headlight, decent compass, treking poles, camel bak, gaiters, wool socks, hiking boots,

Thank you both! The troop he is entering does a fair bit of camping, including at least one backpacking and one wilderness trip each year. We are in the South so it does not get as cold as some northern places. You guys had some great ideas - a headlamp seems very Hanukkah and scout-like at the same time! Thanks.

IMHO stay away from mess kits. All you need is a good lexan bowl and spoon. You have the "big 3" sleeping bag, 2-man tent (but some troops provide tents), sleeping bag. Will need to but that anyway. May wish to ask Troop you may be going too for recommendations. Ditto the BSA swim trunks--I found some at $13 at the scout store. Might consider one-man backpacking tent or sleeping hammock if he is up to it and careful with his gear. A good headlamp is always handy. If you get a backpack realize that he will grow into a bigger one.

My 2 sons had completely different camping styles. Son#1 likes heavy military surplus gear and roughs it. Son#2 likes ultralight gear, making his own, and comfort. Son#1 has a Hennessy Hammock and Son#2 an Eureka Apex 2-Man tent. Different strokes and all that. I am kinda in the middle.

Socks are important but not the sexist gift. I did get Son#1 some surplus Czech Army green wool socks from Sportsmanguide.com.

That said I'd go for a good 40 degree bag that compresses small first priority. Make sure he learns how to properly care for it, drying and hanging when not in use. I have found a good fleece vest and raingear/wind breaker very handy.

One thing is once a boy joins a Troop he will see a lot of different gear that boys and adults bring. So you do not want to so-completely outfit him that he can't add items later that he thinks are really cool. Also remember that while the knife you got him is cool he is likely to be beginning a knife collection.

Happy Hanukkah from this Goyim house!

IMHO stay away from mess kits. All you need is a good lexan bowl and spoon. You have the "big 3" sleeping bag, 2-man tent (but some troops provide tents), sleeping bag. Will need to but that anyway. May wish to ask Troop you may be going too for recommendations. Ditto the BSA swim trunks--I found some at $13 at the scout store. Might consider one-man backpacking tent or sleeping hammock if he is up to it and careful with his gear. A good headlamp is always handy. If you get a backpack realize that he will grow into a bigger one.

My 2 sons had completely different camping styles. Son#1 likes heavy military surplus gear and roughs it. Son#2 likes ultralight gear, making his own, and comfort. Son#1 has a Hennessy Hammock and Son#2 an Eureka Apex 2-Man tent. Different strokes and all that. I am kinda in the middle.

Socks are important but not the sexist gift. I did get Son#1 some surplus Czech Army green wool socks from Sportsmanguide.com.

That said I'd go for a good 40 degree bag that compresses small first priority. Make sure he learns how to properly care for it, drying and hanging when not in use. I have found a good fleece vest and raingear/wind breaker very handy.

One thing is once a boy joins a Troop he will see a lot of different gear that boys and adults bring. So you do not want to so-completely outfit him that he can't add items later that he thinks are really cool. Also remember that while the knife you got him is cool he is likely to be beginning a knife collection.

Good catch TT. When I was thinking mess kit, I wasn't thinking one of those stupid medal ones from walmart. I was thinking long handle titanium spoon, Mug of some sort and a bowl.

Awww, what's wrong with the el cheapo one's from WalMart? That's all I ever use. I remember as a kid, I kinda lost things on a regular basis on campouts. :) It's a lot easier to tell mom I lost a WalMart el cheapo rather than losing a Teflon lined, stainless steel, copper bottomed mess kit. When I didn't lose them, they lasted me a good 5 years before they got so bent up they wouldn't fit back together no matter now much I hammered on them. :)

Stosh

My boy has a food touching issue so he has a plastic divided plate, plastic utensils and a mug. Keep it all in a $1 lingerie washing bag from Wally World, great for air drying.

I hear a frisbee makes a good bowl/plate.

I have recently been seeing a lot of scouts with those lightweight tripod camp stools.

Check with the troop for requirements. In our troop, I would recommend a baseplate compass, a personal mess kit (plate, bowl, cup, utensils in a mesh bag), nalgene (or similar) water bottles, backpack, tripod camp stool, non-vinyl poncho (either nylon or frog-togg), etc.

I've thought about the plastic stuff, but with scratching on cutting boards and plastic plates, I worry about getting them clean.

It bummed me out when the mess kits went with the plastic cups, I used to hold the hole business over the fire to dry and sterilize but the cup was a problem. :)

Stosh

Camping isn't clean. :)

I guess a metal plate would be better but I figure the sanitizer wash gets in the scratches. I never see them use a knife to eat anyway they always want burgers. :)

I will never forget my first campout with the troop.

New cross over with brand new metal mess kit dropped his soup on my pants when he burnt his hands when it was poured into his mess kit. he came back with the little pot thing and proceeded to dump that on the ground too. Naw......havent liked them ever since.