Alleged Utah Scout Leaders Topple Goblin Valley Rock Formations

Gawd I hope this news report is wrong about these turnips being in Scouting.

"A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years old in Emery County. The trio of men was adventuring in Goblin Valley State Park when they decided to film themselves knocking over one of the formations, known as "goblins."

They said later it appeared to them that it was ready to fall and might hurt someone."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/rock-goblin-valley-formation.html.csp

So much for Leave No Trace

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Made the national news too.       So I wonder if making the national news destroying a state treasure while video taping your self whooping and carrying on is enough to get you kicked out???  

Gawd I hope this news report is wrong about these turnips being in Scouting.   "A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years o

I saw it on national news last night and I was stunned, speechless. I can hardly comprehend the arrogance and stupidity of this and I feel angry and ashamed and I don't know how to 'make this right'.

If I were their Bishop (and I am not LDS) I would recind their Calling. I would also make them pay any fines directly even if they are not convicted and find them more work to do that would help them understand their wrong. I might even force them to take the Leave No Trace Trainer Class and teach LNT to everyone in the Ward/Stake.

Gawd I hope this news report is wrong about these turnips being in Scouting.

"A group of Boy Scout leaders is potentially facing felony charges for destroying a rock formation millions of years old in Emery County. The trio of men was adventuring in Goblin Valley State Park when they decided to film themselves knocking over one of the formations, known as "goblins."

They said later it appeared to them that it was ready to fall and might hurt someone."

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57012279-78/rock-goblin-valley-formation.html.csp

So much for Leave No Trace

Vandals are vandals.

Okay, I can see that these guys are fools and adult delinquents, but other than them possibly having a connection with BSA outside of this video, where is the Scout involvement? They are not wearing scouting related clothing, nor are there any boys apparently there. So, it seems to me that we are dealing with pure idiots who may happen to have some connection to the program. As usual, we seem to want to somehow put this on BSA with little valid reason other than general media bias to embarrass the program in the public eye.

Yes, prosecute them as the dumbies they are; but leave BSA out of it unless you can verify this was done on a Scouting outing and with boys and other adults present.

According to NBC news they were scout leaders with 8 boy scouts with them

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/18/21023331-utah-scout-leaders-who-topped-ancient-rock-we-did-something-right-the-wrong-way

"Taylor and Hall, who were on a trip to Goblin Valley State Park with eight Boy Scouts, recorded the moment they dislodged the rock from the spot it had been perched for 170 million years........

The longtime scout leaders were aghast that they could face a felony charge for their antics......"

Made the national news too.

So I wonder if making the national news destroying a state treasure while video taping your self whooping and carrying on is enough to get you kicked out???

I also wonder if RichardB is in the office tonight crafting a new paragraph for the Guide to Safe Scouting on if your going to destroy State or National park property don't video tape your self and post it on you tube.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1