Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Scouts in our Troop are disgusted by this stupid behavior. And then the lying to top it off. Do they really think anyone will buy such BS? This story is all over the news, just as we start our fund raiser! It's time for them to man-up and admit they did wrong and will face the consequences.
    Does anyone know what Troop they are from? I'd really like to write them a letter.

Comment

Well I won't say that there was nothing to do with Kid safety. The clip I saw showed them fooling around the rock, they toppling the rock with cheers and joking, but at the end of the clip one of the guys does say something about them saving kids from getting hit with it or something.. I don't think it was the primary reason, there is just too much horseplay around the action.. But, it was a side thought at least.

Comment

And one of the culprit's character is turning out to be even more deplorable. He's apparently strong enough to hike around and topple a large rock, but is still suing someone for his "disability" caused in an auto accident. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...or-disability/

This man needs to be kicked out of the BSA.

Comment

• FrankScout
          FrankScout commented
          Editing a comment
          They couldn't have removed two boulder guys! Maybe they were stoned! Did they think they could rock our world and take it for granite?

• dedkad
          dedkad commented
          Editing a comment
          Frank, I think they are goblin' up the publicity.

• FrankScout
          FrankScout commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be here all week! Try the veal!

Dumbass Taylor, Jr. ought to be kicked out, too. If he advanced one more rank after cheering on his litigious fatso dad it would be over my dead body.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
          King Ding Dong commented
          Editing a comment
          When Larry the Cable Guy becomes a Scouter.....

• DeanRx
          DeanRx commented
          Editing a comment
          Ding Dong, I've met Larry the cable guy.... please don't insult HIS intellect by lumping him in with these idiots in need of a village.

Was this a "closed" National Park at the time?

Comment

No an open Utah state park, Goblin Valley State Park http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/park/...ate-park/about

Comment

Arrghh. Can National just step in, have a shaming ceremony, and rip off their epaulettes? I think all the work scouts have done to try to overcome the bad reputation scouts have at some National and State parks. Yea this is a black eye. I will pass it on to our boy LNT trainer.

Comment

Like some have mentioned, my Scouting and non-Scouting friends have been sending me links to the video and the follow-up news videos related to this story. I camped at Gobin Valley State Park several years ago and walked around among the "goblins" and felt very guilty about it. Though, It is allowed and encouraged, from what I could tell. However, it is simply against common sense and basic LNT training to push over a rock formations like this IN A STATE PARK. On the other hand, as I was teaching the LNT portion of IOLS this weekend, it gave me an excellent lead-in! Most Scouters at the course had not yet heard of the story since they were rushing to our council camp for the training.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that "long-time" or "veteran" Scouters--as they've been called in various media accounts--would find it acceptable behavior to destroy natural features like this. Have they looked at a handbook? BSA has encouraged conservation since the beginning! I would say I'm "speechless" but obviously I'm not...Just irritated and ready to teach more LNT!

Comment

I realize this is a unique geologic feature, however I find it ironic that society has deemed perfectly fine to blow up entire mountains.

Comment

• packsaddle
                  packsaddle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You're talking about carving Mt. Rushmore?

• jblake47
                  jblake47 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Had they not chiseled the faces into Mt. Rushmore and painted them instead it would have been graffiti.

Of course putting a highway through a National Battlefield site is always a good thing.

Stosh

• King Ding Dong
                  King Ding Dong commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Art is one thing. Blowing up an entire mountain and removing it from existence permanently is another.

And they're out: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/us/art...ck-4913736.php

Comment

• dedkad
                  dedkad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad BSA acted fairly quickly on this matter by getting rid of these idiots and denouncing their actions instead of trying to defend them. BSA can now give this public-relations disaster a more positive spin by focusing on the goals and good deeds of Scouting instead.

LNT ...bit of Irony...look to the Summitt...What kind of Trace did we Leave there..All those Natural BMX Bike Trails, The Natural Skateboard Parks..The Treehouse...The Zip Lines

Comment

• dcsimmons
                  dcsimmons commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wasn't the Summit a coal mine prior to being a Scout camp?

• SSScout
                  SSScout commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, the Summit is reclaimed strip mine land. I doubt if any tree there is more than 25 years old. Gullies are now "lakes", trails are sculpted, camp sites are leveled and sloped fpr drainage.

• perdidochas
                  perdidochas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Well, like it or not, any time we use wilderness (or other land) we effect it. Sacrificial sites are necessary in order to adversely effect the least amount of land. it's just pragmatism, which is sometimes lame.

Gee whiz I can't believe these guys were from the "Utah National Parks" Council !

Comment

At the risk of angering some here who may be LDS, it has been my personal observation that many of the stories we hear regarding deaths, injuries and just dumb antics come from LDS troops. Not all, but many. I'm not anti-LDS. I don't know what it is like in Utah where the vast majority of scouts are LDS, but where I'm from, the LDS troops participate in nothing......including training. Most LDS leaders don't register because they want to, but because they are directed to. They use the Boy Scout program, but they don't necessarily follow the Boy Scout program. I believe that if they would participate in the available training and network with units and leaders outside of LDS, they would be the better for it. Just my .02 cents. I apologize if that is offensive to anyone.

Comment

• packsaddle
                    packsaddle commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Speaking of which, does it pass the regulations if the boys are 'creative' with the way they put it out?

• King Ding Dong
                    King Ding Dong commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Only if they are willing to use their "creativity tools" for a cold-out test.

• WestCoastScouter
                    WestCoastScouter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You brought out the issue that is clear to most non-LDS scouters. In my district, most of the LDS unit leaders don't know what a scouting unit is, they don't like to go to training, and are just waiting to get away from their calling. It's that secret we don't want to say out loud.

It's just something we don't want to say out loud. However, when when I first read the story I told people, "I bet that was a Mormon group...." And yep... Learned later I was right..

Viewing the video, I would say they were having quite a "joy ride." Safety for the kids? Yea, right. Two lessons here: 1) Don't break the law and respect nature. 2) If you can't follow #1, remember that everyone has a video camera on their cell phones and they can feed it to social media pretty quick.

Comment

Utah lawmaker Dixon Pitcher is drafting a vandalism bill. Fines of $15,000 or more. Too late for these two.

http://kutv.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_8415.shtml

Comment

Working...
                    X