X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Base,

With the new NCAP program, you need nice buildings, pools, running water, etc etc. I had to deal with that some this summer as our CSDC is run on a council camp. the 300+ page document is a major PITA that drove me to drink at time this past year. In fact the NCAP is such a PITA that one NCS staffer made the comment, after reading something I wrote, that alcohol should be a budgeted item for CSDC planning as everyone at NCS had issues with NCAP.

My understanding of NCAP, and someone with more expereince with it please correct me if I am wrong, is that it is based upon the most stringent local laws in regards to camps, tries to come up with a universal standard to meet these local laws, and unfortunatley is a means to see fi a camp is worth the effort to invest in to keep up to par, or to sell it.

That said, I bet there are a lot of camps out there that if the BSA tries to sell, the property will revert to the original owners.

Comment

Here is the flipside question. How many Troops from outside your Council actually come to your camps? If you have more coming to your Council, that's a good thing. If not and the local Council Troops are not, that's a bad thing.

Comment

• jpstodwftexas
        jpstodwftexas commented
        Editing a comment
        None....Basically we are Told we are a First Year Campers Camp...No One is gonna send First Year Campers to us, since we don't have facilities or Adventure Programs...We have Out of State Councils sending us Cds about their programs. we got a Discs from Middle Tennessee Council last year

• Hueymungus
        Hueymungus commented
        Editing a comment
        And there is an example of Supply and Demand. It looks like you have neither. I hope your Council Exec Board figures this out and does something to resolve it quickly.

Our troop used to camp local (1.5 miles from CO) every year. The year before my son crossed, they went to summer camp where one of the ASM went as a scout, and then back to base camp. After another year at the distant camp, the troop voted to try something else to create a three year cycle. next summer, we are back to the local camp. Interesting how all three camps get some votes from scouts as their favorite summer camp. We do like the rotation since the scouts have visited the local camp quite a few times in their Cub Scout and Boy Scout years. I was surprised to hear the Prof Scouter in charge of camping say that he recommends a rotation, as long as we include our Council camp. It actually helps to bring ideas back to our Council camp.

Comment

• Basementdweller
        Basementdweller commented
        Editing a comment
        How did woodland trails go last summer????? I tried to IM you but the system doesn't work.

• Basementdweller
        Basementdweller commented
        Editing a comment
        How did woodland trails go last summer????? I tried to IM you but the system doesn't work.

• rjscout
        rjscout commented
        Editing a comment
        Woodland Trails was GREAT! About half of the scouts thought it was their favorite camp (compared to Friedlander and Frontier), while others liked one of the others. Many of the younger scouts really didn't like the OLD KYBO setup. The staff was AWESOME, from CIT all the way up to the CSE, who we at camp a lot that week. Several of the scouts want to be on staff at WTSR next summer.

I helped with Swimming and Archery and was impressed with those areas.

I tried to IM you, as well, with the same results. Wondered how your visit at Friedlander went. We will be there July 13-19 next summer. There will be more OOC troops there that week

We rotate.

Lost Valley near Indio, CA is our Council Camp. Nice place.
      Emerald Bay run by the LA Council is on Catalina Island. Awesome place for summer camp, and a great program for Venture (their Rugged program is great, and the best deal for getting a SCUBA license).
      Camp Whitsett offers whitewater rafting, another out of Council location.
      Camp Chawanakee is up in the Sierras, on a lake, offers sailing, canoeing, rowing and a mile swim all in a freezing cold lake in the mountains.

By rotating, our boys don't get bored from going to the same place every year (nor do our adults who burn a week of vacation to attend).

We started the rotation when our in-Council reservation was cancelled because our week was going to be LDS week, and we were no longer welcome. That was long ago, but the Council handled it very poorly at the time and it left a bad taste in the unit's mouth.

Comment

We use our scout reservation for many activities throughout the year, and even do some short term camping at that facility, but we usually send the 12-14 year olds there and then send the older boys to camps with more hight adventure activities.

I will complement the council because they have added ATV and Scuba to the program over the last few years.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyPrice View Post
          This has been a hot topic for years within our Council. Anyone else??????? We have two camps within our council that are good camps but seem better suited to younger Scouts (IMO). For the last three years we have attended summer camp at Tesomas and have enjoyed it but our troop gets the stink eye from some of the council leaders for going out of council. I say it's up to the boys and the leaders where we go. Thoughts?????
          It's up to the boys and leaders. Our local council camp is barely adequate. The boys don't like to go there.

Comment

From a weblos overnight camp perspective we do every other year in council and the other year out of council. This way the boys that go both years get 2 different experiences.

Comment

We're happy with our council camp but have looked into a second week at a camp out of council. I know some local troops that go out of council and I've never heard of them getting any grief. It seems interesting that councils will give units a hard time for going out of council, but they will actively seek out troops from other councils to come to their camp. Camp, like troops, should put out a good program and people will come.

Comment

Our troop is sending the 14+ boys to Seabase, and the SM anounced that because that, and the need for additional parents, the rest of the troop would be going to our local camp.

My son, who just crossed over this spring interrupted, and said "Wait, I thought we get to vote on that!"

He was immediately put in charge of researching camps, and presenting his recommendations to the PLC.

I was so proud, of both my son and the way the SM handled it.

Comment

• jblake47
                  jblake47 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My kudos to the SM, well done! Same kudos to your son who had the courage to speak up and set the record straight on boy-led!..Gee, wouldn't it be fantastic if all boys got this chance?

Stosh

It should be a decision made by the Patrol Leader's Council, with guidance (presenting the pros and cons) of the Scoutmaster. Would love to see your Council's response if someone stated "In our boy-led Troop the PLC made the decision to go to (the camp outside of Council) beause of xyz"...

Comment

Originally posted by RandyPrice View Post
                  This has been a hot topic for years within our Council. Anyone else??????? We have two camps within our council that are good camps but seem better suited to younger Scouts (IMO). For the last three years we have attended summer camp at Tesomas and have enjoyed it but our troop gets the stink eye from some of the council leaders for going out of council. I say it's up to the boys and the leaders where we go. Thoughts?????
                  Tesomas ROCKS. We've been there three times and plan on going back next summer as well. The boys all universally made the call to schedule our visit while we were at the camp the prior year. Now, having said that, we're investigating alternatives for 2015 as it would be kind of nice to try something new. We probably will go out of council as the council camps don't have dining halls. We could talk all day long about the patrol method and eating as a patrol, yet we factor in the time required for that. You can easily eat up (ha ha) 3 or more hours per days planning and cleaning up after meals.

Comment

Living in Florida, summer camp is just not practical down here. I mean it is flat brutal. We compromise. We head to GA/NC mountains in the summer and do the winter camp in council. BTW, you Yankees may want to look into these Fla winter camps. Nights in the low 40s, high 30s; days in the 60s and 70s. Good MB and adult training offerings. If you want, you can tie it into a side trip to Disney or Busch Gardens. Usually happens the week after Xmas or the 1st week of January.

Comment

Working...
                    X