If we needed any more proof our society is going nuts, read this.

Pretty goofy.. I too have never heard of a having to wear a helmet to do a handstand.. What is dangerous with a cannon ball?.. I always thought of it as the safest dive, as you are not going head first where there may not be enough depth to the water, and it's hard to do a bellyflop while tucked into a ball..

I like the looks of the stamps too.. Of course blue is my favorite color.

Besides the creepy faceless kids on those stamps, you read the link for the bicycle helmet article? Our scouts have nixed bike rides because of the draconian helmet rule. Wonder what the stats are for the cycling MB before and after the rule?

Although I dislike the helmet rule, as I grew up without it my son was fine with it having grown up with it.. But, what I hated was the rule to ride with traffic.. I always argued the rule and taught my son bad habits.. Sorry, I grew up where there was no rule and so my mother taught me to face the traffic and I had a friend killed shortly after they started pushing this rule, because she followed it and rode with traffic and never saw the car behind her that mowed her and her bike down.. Yeah at intersections and driveways, you have to take precautions because driver may not look for you.. But, I prefer being in control of my safety then handing the control over the unknown driver in the cars.

Although I dislike the helmet rule, as I grew up without it my son was fine with it having grown up with it.. But, what I hated was the rule to ride with traffic.. I always argued the rule and taught my son bad habits.. Sorry, I grew up where there was no rule and so my mother taught me to face the traffic and I had a friend killed shortly after they started pushing this rule, because she followed it and rode with traffic and never saw the car behind her that mowed her and her bike down.. Yeah at intersections and driveways, you have to take precautions because driver may not look for you.. But, I prefer being in control of my safety then handing the control over the unknown driver in the cars.
Sorry to hear about you friend. The riding with traffic rule isn't just a BSA, it is a State motor vehicle rule (at least here it is). While a bicycle is not a motor vehicle, if one is riding on the roads it is considered one and thus riders must follow the laws for the MV including the direction, signalling and traffic control devices.
Not arguing what is the right way, however in very bike friendly Denver they routinely give traffic citations to cyclists who violate traffic law.

I had a friend mangled by a vehicle not respecting his presence, he survived but can't ride anymore.

Personally I think it is irresponsible for the BSA require children to ride a bicycle in urban traffic for the MB.

Oh I know.. Wearing a helmet when riding a bike isn't solely a BSA rule either.. The Let's move campaign is not BSA either.. I also understand why the rule was made thinking both as vehicles. We have had people arrested for peddling a bike while intoxicated.. It just is not safe for the biker is all, seriously puts them in danger.
Besides the creepy faceless kids on those stamps, you read the link for the bicycle helmet article? Our scouts have nixed bike rides because of the draconian helmet rule. Wonder what the stats are for the cycling MB before and after the rule?
I can't find the link. What draconian helmet rule are you referring to ?
Many years ago I was working for the Florida Dept of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles when we got word that a guy that was ticketed for DUI while riding a bike had his appeal to the Supreme Court rejected. He argued that a bike wasn't a motor vehicle thus he couldn't be DUI. After the Supreme Court ruling we had to update all the offense codes that applied to vehicles so they could also apply to bicycles. My favorite: Commiting a lewd and lascivious act while on a Bicycle, :-)
Yeah, what draconian helmet rule? You mean the rule that requires a boy to wear one?

From BSA Bike Safety Guidelines

3. Helmets and Clothing

All cyclists must wear a properly sized and fitted helmet approved by either the Snell Memorial Foundation, CPSC, or ASTM standard. Layer your clothing for warmth on cool days so you can avoid chilling or overheating. Cover up for sun protection on clear days.

Broken arms and scraped knees are one thing, but a head concussion and possible death is an entirely different matter. It becomes even more important to wear a helmet when you are pushing the limits and doing some serious biking. Do your boys wear sunscreen when they go outside? Do they wear seatbelts in the car? Do they wear life jackets when they boat? Or did they nix those activities too? Anyone serious enough to pursue the cycling MB should have no problem wearing a helmet.

My youngest took a nasty spill on a park path when he was just getting the hang of it. Turned his head to far to yell something at me and went right over. He had a mild concussion and would have been a lot worse without that helmet.

My neighbor at the time didn't make her kids wear one when tooling around on the street, only when they went on the bike path. He was a AF lt. Col. and an Academy graduate. Nuts.

The most valuable possession our body has is the brain, without it everything else is just stuff.

My apologies. We should swaddle those scouts in bubble wrap, keep them inside and make damn sure nothing so much as happens to them. Like fun or anything nasty like that...
Should we go back to the old leather football helmets as well ? Climbing and rappelling ? They are safer on that belay than on a bicycle. Or should we do away with that as well ?

Since when does a helmet ruin the enjoyment of cycling ? After 10 minutes I barely notice it is there. Even the pros use helmets.

I apologized...